• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debenhams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    JL is already changing half of it's central London store into office space.
    They might have to rethink that plan

Comment

Good riddance I say.

I lost £ 000's last time Debenhams went into administration and was sold off in a pre-pack administration to new owners for pennies.
      What a slap in the face to find out it didn't even close and continued to trade as if nothing happened.
      I walked into a store the day after the deal, expecting to find desparate Closing down Sale signs, and bare shelves,.. but when I looked around the aisles and shelves they were stacked full of the same gear that I had part-owned just a day earlier. Flaming furious I was.
      Well now the current owners (filth) have to deal with losing their money too.

And no I am not Mike Ashley!

Comment

That's shocking.

I know that building and there's no way I would want to live in it even after conversion.

A similar thing is happening in places like Harlow in Essex where old offices are being turned into residential accommodation which ends up housing people redirected there by London councils.

Inside Harlow'''s office block '''human warehouse''' housing - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          This. Just as the warehouses and factories were converted into loft apartments in the '80s and '90s for post-industrial towns, so the shops need to be converted for post-retail towns.
          Post retail - not heard that before but sounds about right. The only things that will be left in most high streets in 10 years time will be service based businesses, fast food outlets, bars, cafes and charity shops and betting shops.

Comment

In store retailing is failing but in part retailers have only themselves to blame.
            The fact is that visiting a store is not a pleasant experience. Anyone who had visited Homebase, B&Q or Ikea on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon will be able attest to the worst of this.
            Retailers have had years to make the environment more pleasant and so many have failed.
            Just pre-covid. I visited John Lewis in Birmingham and spent quite a bit of money there but for an upmarket store the environment was not nice.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              They might have to rethink that plan
              I saw the story and went only 15 years too late...
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                In store retailing is failing but in part retailers have only themselves to blame.
                The fact is that visiting a store is not a pleasant experience. Anyone who had visited Homebase, B&Q or Ikea on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon will be able attest to the worst of this.
                The only place I (use to ) go to walk around a store on a Saturday or Sunday is a supermarket. Even then I'm selective about which ones I go to and the time.

Retailers have had years to make the environment more pleasant and so many have failed.
                Just pre-covid. I visited John Lewis in Birmingham and spent quite a bit of money there but for an upmarket store the environment was not nice.
                Most stores don't have any stock in. It's all on their website so you may as well do click and collect, then give the stuff back if it doesn't fit or not as described.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

24/7 Amazing drone delivery will kill all retail as we know it, apart from sofa delivery, which I am still waiting to happen

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Most stores don't have any stock in. It's all on their website so you may as well do click and collect, then give the stuff back if it doesn't fit or not as described.
                    "Oh sorry we haven't got that size in stock but if you go to our website, we have all sizes available there" a phrase heard very often when going in to a shop to try smth in a bid to avoid the hassle of waiting for delivery and returning cause it doesn't fit.

Comment

And don't forget the extortionate parking charges (and if you're in London, the congestion charge ultra-low emission tax* which now applies at weekends). It's not just the destination that's the problem, the journey is often quite unpleasant...

*Some of those don't apply yet, but will do soon.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X