My post count is Majestic

SueEllen is always on top

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

bored now

eek is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    ..in administration
    It already was

Debenhams fell into administration for the second time in April and hopes had rested on a rescue bid from JD Sports.
    - it's now going into liquidation as there is zero chance of it being rescued.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Double Godlike!

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Debenhams, a department store made up of concessions and franchises that has lost its way. It has zero attractiveness.
    Department stores used to be about shopping with service in comfortable surroundings and usually with a pleasant restaurant or cheap cafeteria. Debenhams is drab with disinterested staff.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

My post count is Majestic

AtW is always on top

Liquidation is more humane than being taken over by Ashley

Fingers like lightning

edison has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Debenhams, a department store made up of concessions and franchises that has lost its way. It has zero attractiveness.
    Department stores used to be about shopping with service in comfortable surroundings and usually with a pleasant restaurant or cheap cafeteria. Debenhams is drab with disinterested staff.
    Debenhams lost their way many years ago just like House of Fraser. They don't have the right customer proposition, online offering or in store service. I'm amazed either have survived so long.

Sadly, John Lewis is likely to go the same way eventually. It usually has very good service in my experience but simply can't compete on price with Amazon and still make a decent profit. It's hard to see what major, middle of the road national retail chains will be around in 10 years, especially those heavily driven by clothing sales. Consumers want cheap and cheerful fast fashion or designer/premium. With a small number of exceptions, the middle ground is a bit of a no man's land now.

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Debenhams lost their way many years ago just like House of Fraser. They don't have the right customer proposition, online offering or in store service. I'm amazed either have survived so long.

Sadly, John Lewis is likely to go the same way eventually. It usually has very good service in my experience but simply can't compete on price with Amazon and still make a decent profit. It's hard to see what major, middle of the road national retail chains will be around in 10 years, especially those heavily driven by clothing sales. Consumers want cheap and cheerful fast fashion or designer/premium. With a small number of exceptions, the middle ground is a bit of a no man's land now.
    That reminds me, John Lewis was rather good last Christmas with free drinks and snacks. I got thoroughly pi$$ed for free and bought nothing.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

Big high street presence, but massive associated costs means they struggle to compete with people who go their to try clothes on then go home and look for it cheaper online.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Big high street presence, but massive associated costs means they struggle to compete with people who go their to try clothes on then go home and look for it cheaper online.

Super poster

Eirikur - scorchio!

Time to transform the highstreets into living areas. Housing problem solved.

I live on CUK

Old Greg is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Time to transform the highstreets into living areas. Housing problem solved.
    This. Just as the warehouses and factories were converted into loft apartments in the '80s and '90s for post-industrial towns, so the shops need to be converted for post-retail towns.