• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gove suggests you need a couple to start on.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gove suggests you need a couple to start on.

Coronavirus UK tiers: Michael Gove wades into scotch egg 'substantial meal' row | Daily Mail Online

It's no YOLK! Michael Gove wades into scotch egg row by claiming 'a couple' of them count as a 'starter' and NOT a 'substantial meal'... leaving pub goers asking: Do I need to eat THREE?

• Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove says two scotch eggs would be 'a starter'
    • Environment Secretary George Eustice said yesterday one is a substantial meal
    • People going into tier two must have 'substantial meal' to allow them to buy pint
    • Landlords accuse Government of providing 'no clarity' on substantial meal rule
    Considering how many MPs are ex lawyers why are they so bad at drafting laws?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    They are very good at drafting laws to make sure important people (not you or me) are unaffected by negative changes

Comment

Coronavirus UK tiers: Michael Gove wades into scotch egg 'substantial meal' row | Daily Mail Online

Landlords accuse Government of providing 'no clarity' on substantial meal rule
      I think using vague language (the OED defines 'substantial' as, among other things, 'having substance') is very deliberate. You could legally order a pint with a packet of crisps, but it's open to interpretation. I'm sure it's so they can claim to have no blood on their hands when there are hardly any pubs left.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I think that explains it.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          I think using vague language (the OED defines 'substantial' as, among other things, 'having substance') is very deliberate. You could legally order a pint with a packet of crisps, but it's open to interpretation. I'm sure it's so they can claim to have no blood on their hands when there are hardly any pubs left.
          In Portugal they had a rule about alcohol being served with food after 8pm. As they have a small plates, tapas-style food culture, a bowl of olives or crisps is sufficient

Comment

Nothing beats going out and having a chef cook you a substantial meal.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

IIRC restaurants have (or used to have) alcohol licences that restrict them to selling alcohol with a meal. I'm guessing that the definition of a meal has been tested. In Ireland they set a minimum price of €9 (eating out is more expensive here) for a substantial meal.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Nothing beats going out and having a chef cook you a substantial meal.

Almost homeopathic levels of beef in that.

However, when I was a kid that was exactly the sort of functionality I wanted out of a dolls' house. I was sorely disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  IIRC restaurants have (or used to have) alcohol licences that restrict them to selling alcohol with a meal. I'm guessing that the definition of a meal has been tested. In Ireland they set a minimum price of €9 (eating out is more expensive here) for a substantial meal.
                  In Hide, you can't have a drink in the downstairs bar without having something to eat (unless you've got a table booked for dinner and are just having a pre-prandial) as their license requires them to serve food with all drinks. However, they just serve up some lovely little cheese ball things for free and have a nibbles menu you can order from if you want more.

Comment

FFS, what's happened to this country? Going down the pan day after day. When did we forget our culture? Remember peeps, eatin' is cheatin'!!! This is what our fathers* fought 2 world wars for

* well, not my father, but I'm sure someones did.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X