• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech jab

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech jab

Covid Pfizer vaccine approved for use next week in UK - BBC News

The UK has already ordered 40m doses - enough to vaccinate 20m people.

Around 10m doses should be available soon, with the first 800,000 arriving in the UK in the coming days.

It is the fastest ever vaccine to go from concept to reality, taking only 10 months to follow the same developmental steps that normally span a decade.

An mRNA vaccine has never been approved for use in humans before, although people have received them in clinical trials.
    Ten years to ten months in testing.

AtW, please call your GP now!
    Last edited by _V_; 2 December 2020, 08:13.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Hands up from me ... when they first talked of a vaccine I was skeptical that one would be developed given we'd never had anything for the coronavirus types viruses. Just goes to show though, throw enough money at something and anything is possible.

Let's see if we can find vaccines/cures for all the other horrible diseases out there where people are suffering every day. This is a good news days.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Ten years to ten months in testing.

AtW, please call your GP now!
      I’d call my GP but it usually takes 1 month on the phone and 9 months wait for an appointment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I’d call my GP but it usually takes 1 month on the phone and 9 months wait for an appointment
        You need to live where I live - call up the surgery in the morning and always get a phone consultation the same day. They are one of the top voted GP surgeries in the country - shame all GPs can't work in a similar way.

Comment

Seems very rushed

I have no idea of course but 10 months to develop a vaccine which ends a global pandemic, seems awfully rushed especially for those of us who have memories of Thalidomide.

I am not so sure I am going to be a pioneer or early adapter.

Comment

Is this a conspiracy from Tory government to jab all the old folks and kill them off so they can reduce the pension bill
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Some interesting things going on.
              MHRA were "encouraged" to get it approved here first
              Rishi was pushing for it to be given to tax payers/workers first, but as part of Trump-esque block move, the decision was to ignore him and keep him frozen out.
              ...but the full details of the deal aren't released.

Pfizer are happy that a small, densely populated island has volunteered for Project Petri and expect to monitor the next few months of data (oops, sorry, delivery of an approved vaccine) will allow other countries to conduct better reviews.

As a side note, I'd be interested to see the volume of Pfizer share trade in the last 36 hours, specifically from businesses with links to UK politicians.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Is this a conspiracy from Tory government to jab all the old folks and kill them off so they can reduce the pension bill
                One can live in hope.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Shhhhh, 'they' don't want you to know this

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Rishi was pushing for it to be given to tax payers/workers first, but as part of Trump-esque block move, the decision was to ignore him and keep him frozen out.
                    ...but the full details of the deal aren't released.
                    He couldn't even work out who was self-employed, employed, run a legit company or any combination of them. Oh and I wonder if he knows anything about eugenics...
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X