• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxi graveyard!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxi graveyard!

‘Field of Broken Dreams’: London’s Growing Taxi Graveyards - The New York Times

EPPING, England — Drive through a leaf-strewn forest and past a charming street market in this town about 20 miles northeast of London, and a jarring sight appears: black London taxis, parked bumper-to-bumper by the hundreds in a muddy field, surrounded by beehives and a barn for raising squab pigeons.

It’s a camera-ready monument to the economic devastation wrought by the pandemic. The cabs were returned by their drivers to a rental company because of the collapse in business after Britain went into lockdown last March. As the number of idled taxis piled up, the company ran out of room in its garage and cut a deal with a local farmer to store about 200 of them alongside his bees and pigeons.

Seen the pic already.

Sad.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Good news for clean air and climate change.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Very nice doom thread, worthy of the DOOM brand, keep 'em coming ladymuck!

Comment

Yeh. Leave it to atW and SE please mrs mucky.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I'm sorry folks. I thought it was interesting but I guess if you're of a certain leaning it could be interpreted as a DOOM thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I'm sorry folks. I thought it was interesting but I guess if you're of a certain leaning it could be interpreted as a DOOM thread.
              Unfortunately, LM, there are a lot of glass-half-empty misery-guts around who see DOOM in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                How the hell the GRAVEYARD should be interpreted?

Comment

Thought I read somewhere, can't be a*d to Google it, that black cabs were doing better than other taxis as safer due to partitions.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Thought I read somewhere, can't be a*d to Google it, that black cabs were doing better than other taxis as safer due to partitions.
                    They got in trouble with Advertising Standards (OFCOM) for saying they were all safer when only some cabs models are safer as they keep you 2 metres away from the driver.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X