• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unbrella Scam? - Payslip Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    As I (and WTFH) have already pointed out we can't deal with hypotheticals and estimates here we need the actual numbers.

Without that we can't work out what is going on.

And don't forget some umbrellas will hold back holiday pay (and then illegal avoid paying it later - there is an example of an umbrella firm trying to do that earlier this week).
    Numbers don't impact processes. The process is all I was trying to explain.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesC34 View Post
      Is my umbrella scamming me?

For obvious reasons I will use a hypothetical example of a payslip they provide. The payslip includes my basic rate (e.g. £20 per hour)

I work 37 hours. So 37 x 20 = £740.
      Petrol expenses of £60 are listed on the payslip under basic rate as 'Expenses (non taxable)'

From my basic rate of £740, they deduct
      • Salary Deductions (PAYE & NI)
      • Company Margin
      • Employers NI
      • Apprenticeship Levy
        HYPOTHETICAL TOTAL £300

My Net Pay received is £740-300 = £440

So where, by slight of hand, have my £60 expenses disappeared to?
      Can anyone explain? is this a scam or am I missing something?
      I fail to see what makes you think this is a scam. Scam would be if you are meant to be paid 440 as net pay but they give you 100 and keep the rest as fees or something else. The 60 expenses is just a tax dodge, the expense never occurred, they are claiming that you spent 60 quid as business expenses and so deserve a tax relief on that. All looks perfectly fine.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        I fail to see what makes you think this is a scam. Scam would be if you are meant to be paid 440 as net pay but they give you 100 and keep the rest as fees or something else. The 60 expenses is just a tax dodge, the expense never occurred, they are claiming that you spent 60 quid as business expenses and so deserve a tax relief on that. All looks perfectly fine.
        To be fair most people that see things they don't like go straight for the 'is this Illegal' so he deserves some kudos for thinking out of the box.

But that said most people can also spell Umbrella.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 4 December 2020, 16:09.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          To be fair most people that see things they don't like go straight for the 'is this Illegal' so he deserves some kudos for thinking out of the box.

But that said most people can also spell Umbrella.
          Surely it is illegal to suggest this is scam!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Numbers don't impact processes. The process is all I was trying to explain.
            And one of the first things we don't actually know is if the process was followed or not.

That requires the actual details on the payslip.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              They can't magic up £60 to pay you, unless the client is reimbursing your expenses.

Therefore, they use the £60 to reduce the amount of tax you're paying on your earnings. So, the basis for calculating tax is £740 - £60 = £680.
              And the prize for the correct answer and winner of the thread goes to.....ladymuck

Thanks, you worked it out for us.

Shame the brolly couldn't be arsed to explain themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Yes they are. Robbing you blind, pulling your pants down, giving you a right good reaming.

Sucks to be you.
                What an imagination you have northernLAD.

Are you on the right website? There are plenty out there to cater for your particular needs.
                Last edited by JamesC34; 5 December 2020, 09:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Surely it is illegal to suggest this is scam!
                  You'd better alert the appropriate authorities right away!

But read the posts properly, I asked the question, I didn't make an allegation.

I also used a hypothetical example. Imagine how excited you would have been if I had used the actual payslip! (as several others insisted I do).

Comment

Originally posted by JamesC34 View Post
                    Shame the brolly couldn't be arsed to explain themselves.
                    It will be there in the figures.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X