• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of vegetarianism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of vegetarianism

Most vegetarians I know, are so not because of meat as such but because of the death of animals, might this be the answer:

I tried the world's first no-kill, lab-grown chicken burger | Food | The Guardian

Singapore becomes first country to approve lab-grown meat - CNN
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Soylent Green

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Most vegetarians I know, are so not because of meat as such but because of the death of animals, might this be the answer:

I tried the world's first no-kill, lab-grown chicken burger | Food | The Guardian

Soylent Green (1973) Official Trailer - Charlton Heston, Edward G Robinson Movie HD - YouTube

And movie is set in 2022 !!

Comment

Perhaps a meat growth could be grafted on to the human body and trimmed off to make your own burgers.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

This continues to annoy me. If you don't want to eat meat, for any reason, why spend so much time, money, effort in looking for meat substitutes that look, smell, taste like the meat you want to avoid?

I just don't understand that logic.

There is an angle for producing products to encourage meat eaters to reduce their consumption but what's wrong with teaching people how to eat well without creating a frankenfood?

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

its a grey area. its not plant based and its not made by killing animals. Still many vegetarians will not eat it.
          I would call it vegemeat.

Comment

Depends why you're a vegetarian. In UK I've noticed most are for ethical, religious, cultural reasons. So this may or may not be okay for them.

Where I used to live it was mostly a health choice so most people there wouldn't touch any of the fake meats and definitely won't touch something lab grown as they are working towards a more natural diet.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              This continues to annoy me. If you don't want to eat meat, for any reason, why spend so much time, money, effort in looking for meat substitutes that look, smell, taste like the meat you want to avoid?

There is an angle for producing products to encourage meat eaters to reduce their consumption but what's wrong with teaching people how to eat well without creating a frankenfood?
              + 1 with 100%. I love fish, I like some quality meat. There are loads of good quality veg dishes that are tasty that were never considered a vegetarian but for some reason the recipes are not on western menus.

The western vegetarian marketing seems to be aimed at very poor meat substitutes that taste bloody awful.

Goje Bademjoon - Persian Tomato and Aubergine Stew - I got it from my Maman

Aubergines Stuffed with Walnut & Pomegranate (Bademjan Kabab) – The Persian Fusion

Persian Lentil Soup…A Chicago Restaurant Fave

More if you want...
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                Depends why you're a vegetarian. In UK I've noticed most are for ethical, religious, cultural reasons. So this may or may not be okay for them.

Where I used to live it was mostly a health choice so most people there wouldn't touch any of the fake meats and definitely won't touch something lab grown as they are working towards a more natural diet.
                I’ve noticed most are nut jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That's the point for many vegetarians surely? Something akin to the taste without the need for killing animals?

I'm vegetarian and apart from one or two exceptions, I avoid meat substitute products.

Ironically, the main genetically modified crops like maize (corn) and soybean, are used mainly for feeding animals.

Comment

Many vegetarians I know do it because of the suffering, eco cost or religious belief. I prefer free range etc because there is lower guilt but I know my meat costs a hundred times more resources than a plant based diet.

Critically, one study suggested it could potentially be produced with 96% lower greenhouse gas emissions and 99% less land
                    Now a safe low impact meat replacement once we accept it may be the greatest invention in food production in the 21st century. The rest of the world now wants to eat a meat diet like the west but when Billions of Chinese, Africans and Indians etc. take up meat we will run out of land.

although some animal rights activists argue it perpetuates an unhealthy obsession with eating animals.
                    This just shows how barmy the vegies are, we produce a way that everyone who wants to can eat meat without suffering and still they aren't happy. Once this comes in there will be pampered herds of rare breeds living like rock stars with the occasional sample being taken. Dairy cows & battery hens will probably be replaced by a similar method.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X