• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nazi legacy flagging

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nazi legacy flagging

Germany to wipe Nazi traces from phonetic alphabet - BBC News

A little bit of interesting if unpleasant history I'd never heard of.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Germany to wipe Nazi traces from phonetic alphabet - BBC News

A little bit of interesting if unpleasant history I'd never heard of.
    definitely interesting thanks.

Hey if you are creating a new world order you need to remove that which doesn't fit your idea. Its common everywhere people try to deny equality and reality and force their opinions on others.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Hey, if you are creating a new world order, you need to remove that which doesn't fit your idea. Its common everywhere people try to deny equality and reality and force their opinions on others.
      Definitely
      it's

Comment

Hey if you are creating a new world order you need to remove that which doesn't fit your idea. Its common everywhere people try to deny equality and reality and force their opinions on others.
        We see parallels in trying to remove words like "master" and "slave" and gender-specific terms from technical disciplines and even "master bedroom". Those strike me as a bit overly PC but it does just show how things you never thought of, could have very unpalatable history.

Comment

We see parallels in trying to remove words like "master" and "slave" and gender-specific terms from technical disciplines and even "master bedroom". Those strike me as a bit overly PC but it does just show how things you never thought of, could have very unpalatable history.

However they come from words that at their inception were not related to slavery, they may have been tainted by use in Slavery later. Gender non specific words like Chairman, Spaceman, management etc.?

Do we remove the following words Dhow, caravan, market, Chain, shackle, Brand, Auction, Block , purchase , sell etc.? All were used in connection with slavery.

Comment

However they come from words that at their inception were not related to slavery, they may have been tainted by use in Slavery later. Gender non specific words like Chairman, Spaceman, management etc.?
            Words like chairman, spaceman and fireman are gender specific. The alternatives are widely used e.g. chair/chairperson.

Management isn't seen as gender specific.

Originally posted by veteran View Post
            Do we remove the following words Dhow, caravan, market, Chain, shackle, Brand, Auction, Block , purchase , sell etc.? All were used in connection with slavery.
            Those words are yet seen as related specifically to slavery.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

To avoid offending anyone we should go back to caveman days and just say Ug.

PS My apologies, I meant caveperson.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Neither are the names they substituted inherently antisemitic.

Are you arguing master/slave in software/mechanical engineering parlance are not linked to slavery?! Clearly they are, the metaphor of a master driving a slave is actually helpful here.
                Where it's daft IMO is that this usage is purely descriptive, it's not advocating or endorsing slavery. Whereas the phonetic example was done purely in the interest of antisemitism.
                The question then becomes should we remove all usage of slavery references from common language to remove the concept? A central theme of Brave New World.

mi fone did this on tappy tawk

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Words like chairman, spaceman and fireman are gender specific. The alternatives are widely used e.g. chair/chairperson.

Management isn't seen as gender specific.

Those words are yet seen as related specifically to slavery.

The word Man is not gender specific except to ignorant people.
                  Look up Wyf & Wer for an explanation.

Wer and Wyf, Man and Woman

The problem is people assume from their ignorance certain words are used with bad intent. That would normally be described as prejudice and ignorance.

The classic example is "to call a spade a spade" a phrase translated from ancient Greek and is now considered a racial slur. because of 20th century sensitivities.

World Wide Words: Spade.

Master is not originally a slave term however it was later (in its last 400 years of use) partially used as such, however during my apprenticeship I was indentured to a master, I could become a master coxswain/boatman/at arms/craftsman etc.

master | Origin and meaning of master by Online Etymology Dictionary

The romans called a slave Servus/Serva, the greeks δμώς (dmōs),the Arabs = Abeed, The Vikings=Thrall, Egyptian=sqrw-anx. Most were taken by force but I suspect some were sold by their brothers.

Dhow is a name of an Arab ship however over half the African slaves sold by Africa in the slave markets of Zanzibar would end up on Arabian slave ships between the 7th and 19th century 80% would die on the journey.

These and other words aren't mentioned because there is a motive here. The African nations are after money for selling their people into slavery in a trade that we made illegal at great financial and personal cost, they don't ask the Arabs states they sold to because they know they would just laugh at them.

Slaving was horrid but it is the third oldest profession after NLyUK & war you have to do something with the prisoners and killing them is just not profitable. The UK put a stop to it so we should feel proud.
                  Last edited by vetran; 5 December 2020, 00:10.

Comment

Neither are the names they substituted inherently antisemitic.

Are you arguing master/slave in software/mechanical engineering parlance are not linked to slavery?! Clearly they are, the metaphor of a master driving a slave is actually helpful here.
                    Where it's daft IMO is that this usage is purely descriptive, it's not advocating or endorsing slavery. Whereas the phonetic example was done purely in the interest of antisemitism.
                    The question then becomes should we remove all usage of slavery references from common language to remove the concept? A central theme of Brave New World.

mi fone did this on tappy tawk

No I pointed out the word Master is not originally linked to slavery just as eggs don't always make custard. I shared a number of other words that were as closely linked to slavery as Master and suggested we drop those as well.

Master / Slave as a term is most definitely suspect and moving away from using it just makes sense and is respecting peoples feelings.

Moving away from using "Master bedroom" is just stupid, if there were a "slave bedroom" that should probably be renamed. Just as we remove the N word we should remove the Slave word but throwing Master out with the bathwater seems a step too far.

Comment

Working...
                    X