• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will there be a third wave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will there be a third wave

I believe that some people don't know the difference between prevention and cure:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

USA hit 100,000 Covid hospital admissions per day after Thanksgiving. Just wait for after Christmas.

Comment

It's going to take years to get back to normality therefore there will be many more waves. I believe when it gets to the mopping-up stage, there will have to be very harsh penalties for non-compliance.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Yes there will be seasonal waves. I believe the virus will evolve and mutate and this year's vaccine will be useless within 1 or 2 years.

We need to learn to live with this virus and develop ways of living and working that don't require rolling lockdowns and an ever increasing reliance on the state.

Comment

Things are getting stricter here

These are the minimal rules from 9th December. Cantons may have stricter rules, but not looser rules. The nearby city has closed all sports facilities, gyms, restaurants, bars and brothels. But in many places (e.g. adjoining cantons) these are still open, all the shops are open, and life is continuing with minimal disruption. The local panto group is doing an online interactive panto, via Zoom. Feel free to buy tickets!

The number of infections, deaths and hospitalisations is decreasing, so life can continue without too much economic disruption. I guess the authorities learn during each wave which measures are most effective.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Yes there will be seasonal waves. I believe the virus will evolve and mutate and this year's vaccine will be useless within 1 or 2 years.

We need to learn to live with this virus and develop ways of living and working that don't require rolling lockdowns and an ever increasing reliance on the state.
            So far it’s very stable - however there is mink factor and likely other animals

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              So far it’s very stable - however there is mink factor and likely other animals
              So far... yes. There are already multiple strains, which is allowing researchers to track its movement. Luckily those strains aren't affecting the key components the current vaccines are relying on but it would be complacent to claim it will stay that way.

HIV, the common cold, flu - all viruses that evolve and mutate at varying rates. I don't know about the mutation rate in SARS and other coronaviruses so maybe I'm being over dramatic and DOOM-bearing by thinking stability over the past year doesn't mean stability forever.

Comment

If mRNA works then it will be possible to quickly change vaccine and manufacture a lot, better than how it is done with flu now, with much higher efficacy. Sars2 is stable where it matters for it - corona spikes, either vaccines work or it should get less infectious if spikes go away or something like that.

If you want to be scared then netter think about super-volcanoes, feck all we can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I believe that some people don't know the difference between prevention and cure:

Some observations...

Predominantly young people in those photos. Leading one to assume these were taken in or around universities; the lack of location information isn't helpful.

No dates/times when the photos were taken. They could have been taken last year, not last week.

No context around the photos. They could be showing a fire alarm tip out of a halls of residence; the bottom photo could be a protest or some kind of public speaking.

The body language doesn't look like these are social events and I'm not totally sure all were taken in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Some observations...

Predominantly young people in those photos. Leading one to assume these were taken in or around universities; the lack of location information isn't helpful.

No dates/times when the photos were taken. They could have been taken last year, not last week.

No context around the photos. They could be showing a fire alarm tip out of a halls of residence; the bottom photo could be a protest or some kind of public speaking.

The body language doesn't look like these are social events and I'm not totally sure all were taken in the UK.

It's Harrods, (Hans Crescent). Clothing and trees shows its Autumn. Obviously current Kensington lot hanging out waiting for shops to re-open. You are probably more used to Lidle at Sheppard's Bush
                    Last edited by Paddy; 6 December 2020, 14:50.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X