• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Killer motorways.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I have mentioned the day back in 2003 when I was in an accident on the M62 that closed it west bound on a Monday morning for 2 hours.

A transit behind the car behind me didn't slow down to tailgate the east bound accident that had recently occurred.

The transit hit the car behind me that sent me at a 45 degree angle into the barriers and from there across all 3 lanes until the smoke disappeared and I could see where I was and bring the car to a halt.

Since then all contracts or work in Manchester has been via the train
    Oh I've done years of Leeds to Preston, flippin awful, you get a sense of who to avoid. If I didn't get to the Oldham junction by 06:15 a 70min commute morphed into 2-3 hrs. Sometimes could avoid trouble using the M66, Grane Road and M65. They need to extend the M65 to meet the A1 around Harrogate as was the original intention. When they built the M62 it was as much maligned as HS2 "who's going to use it was the rallying cry", now days everyone! Trouble is its a pinch point for traffic traversing the pennines, and many of them in winter are road freight avoiding the A66 going up to Glasgow etc.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Oh I've done years of Leeds to Preston, flippin awful, you get a sense of who to avoid. If I didn't get to the Oldham junction by 06:15 a 70min commute morphed into 2-3 hrs. Sometimes could avoid trouble using the M66, Grane Road and M65. They need to extend the M65 to meet the A1 around Harrogate as was the original intention. When they built the M62 it was as much maligned as HS2 "who's going to use it was the rallying cry", now days everyone! Trouble is its a pinch point for traffic traversing the pennines, and many of them in winter are road freight avoiding the A66 going up to Glasgow etc.
      Hardly surprising given the A66 is single carriageway for most of the bits between the M6 and Brough and Bowes / Barnard Castle to Scotch Corner (although the road is due to be upgraded).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It seems to me, they need to combine the lane closure signs to smart laser blasters to vapourise the morons who don't keep to the rules.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Didnt they do a report last year (or maybe the year before) where it showed that smart motorways were worse then normal in terms of deaths.

Edit: 38 killed on smart motorways in last five years - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
            Didnt they do a report last year (or maybe the year before) where it showed that smart motorways were worse then normal in terms of deaths.

Edit: 38 killed on smart motorways in last five years - BBC News
            17 minutes to be spotted and 17 minutes to be recovered.

So nearly 20 mins of trucks hurtling towards you at 70 mph and then nearly another 20 hoping people read the signs properly. Thst doesn't mention how long to actually clear it.

How did that get past any kind of risk assessment??
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

So nearly 20 mins of trucks hurtling towards you at 70 mph and then nearly another 20 hoping people read the signs properly. Thst doesn't mention how long to actually clear it.

Money.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Trucks and large vans should be limited to 60mph.

Mind you being in the next lane and seeing an HGV having to suddenly brake on a dual carriageway near me at 50mph due to the driver not realising there are lots of random and tight turns....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  I notice the same on the M3. Red X on the outside is an invitation to the BMW's & Co to use it exclusively. .
                  If you're on your M3, presumably you joined in?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/27/one-i...king-15321887/

"As many as one in ten safety cameras monitoring the UK’s smart motorways are either broken, misted up or facing the wrong way, it has been reported."

"Workers monitoring the feeds were secretly filmed muttering to themselves ‘we’ve got no signals, you’re all going to die’ and ‘the whole system’s crashed’."

Good thing you cant buy any petrol might end up dying if you go on the motorway!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
                      https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/27/one-i...king-15321887/

"As many as one in ten safety cameras monitoring the UK’s smart motorways are either broken, misted up or facing the wrong way, it has been reported."

"Workers monitoring the feeds were secretly filmed muttering to themselves ‘we’ve got no signals, you’re all going to die’ and ‘the whole system’s crashed’."

Good thing you cant buy any petrol might end up dying if you go on the motorway!
                      I saw similar stories a few weeks ago.

DfT argue that smart motorways lead to fewer deaths than on conventional but they 'could' put the same level of surveillance on normal motorways and keep the hard shoulder and you'd get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                      X