• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bah Humbug

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah Humbug

Some people round my way have put in lots of effort into their Christmas lights. Though nothing like this house.

Dad threatened with GBP10,000 Covid fine for Christmas lights display | Metro News

A homeowner has been threatened with a £10,000 fine unless he switches off his charity Christmas lights.

Trevor Payne, 46, has been displaying festive lights outside his house for several years to raise money for mental health charities.

But police were called to his property in Cheslyn Hay, Staffordshire, on Saturday evening after reports of a ‘large gathering’ in the street.

The dad was ordered to turn off his seasonal display or face a huge fine for breaking coronavirus rules – leaving families and children in the area heartbroken. Anne Marie Beckett, 32, said her daughter Serena, three, and five-year-old son Bobby had been ‘loving’ the lights before officers turned up on the road.

‘I think it is disgusting to be honest,’ said the single mum. ‘Most people were wearing masks and social distancing in a one-way system through the garden. It felt really safe and was beautifully decorated. ‘It was the first time we’ve been to this one and it’s one of the best we’ve seen.

‘Everyone was just trying to give their kids a little taste of Christmas and then the police turned up. ‘The lights were lovely and the atmosphere was so nice. But when the police shut the lights down the atmosphere turned. ‘We were just trying to get some Christmas spirit for the kids and now they have spoiled the small amount of festive joy we could enjoy this year.’

Visitors said the attraction was made Covid-safe by implementing a one-way system with hand sanitising stations.

They also claimed Trevor received full clearance beforehand from council bosses to ensure he was not flouting any Government rules. Residents have now said police are ‘spoiling the small amount of festive joy’ they could experience this year in their tier three area. ‘These people are selflessly raising money for Young Minds,’ added Anne.

'They are doing their bit for a mental health charity, which really needs support at the moment. ‘In a time when charities are crying out for support Staffordshire Police deem it acceptable to queue outside Primark – but this isn’t allowed? ‘There were about 50 people there when we arrived but it was marshalled really safely by the homeowners. ‘Yet you’re allowed to queue with hundreds of people shoulder-to-shoulder outside shops. It’s ridiculous.’

Another resident Sam Bartlett, 36, said: ‘You’ve got people going to football matches but you can’t take children to see some Christmas lights to donate to a good cause.

‘It just seems backwards. I’m not one of these Covid deniers and if it didn’t feel safe I would not have taken the kids. ‘But he had hand sanitising stations, markers down and a one-way system in place – it was more sensibly laid-out than some shops and pubs I’ve been to. ‘

He even had clearance from the council beforehand, this isn’t somebody blatantly flouting the rules. He’s tried to do it by the book and still gets punished.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

So Stafforshire cops can shut down some twinkly lights but the Met can't stop a bunch of eejits from crowding out Harrods

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      So Stafforshire cops can shut down some twinkly lights but the Met can't stop a bunch of eejits from crowding out Harrods

The Staffordshire police knew where the guy lived so it was easy for them...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The Staffordshire police knew where the guy lived so it was easy for them...
        Don't the Met Police know where Harrods is?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

They are representatives from the travelling community not eejits!

check your privilege
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

No the shops don't call them for shoplifting anymore because they do feck all.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Make the most of it (extravagant crimbo light displays), from next year there will be an 'excessive use of electricity' tax to clampdown on planet killing antics like this, probably.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                Make the most of it (extravagant crimbo light displays), from next year there will be an 'excessive use of electricity' tax to clampdown on planet killing antics like this, probably.
                Most lights are led and use batteries now.

I found the secret when I was looking for new Crimbo lights.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

you don't learn that on the 2 day course!
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Working...
                  X