• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to embrace the umbrella....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    You do know that the rules change in April 2021 don't you?
    Yup, but what does that matter? If my contract is inside, no problem. If my contract is outside, also no problem.

If I tell them it's outside but later on, it turns out to be inside, that's what the insurance is for.

What's to sweat about?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

She who must not be named was named!
      We presume there is more than one Lucy.

Though to be safe, only use a brolly that is bagpuss approved.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        We presume there is more than one Lucy.

Though to be safe, only use a brolly that is bagpuss approved.
        Unless it involves Darren Upton.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          So, looks like I’m inside from Feb. Given that client seem happy to renew in this dessert we are in it looks like I need a decent umbrella and to wind down the Ltd Co.

Has anyone done the same lately - What’s a good trustworthy eel proved brolly these days?

A good gravy train until now I guess.
          Stock answer to all these threads, I'm using JSA brolly, £10 a week, problem free so far and paying into my own SIPP without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Go PAYE with a brolly and close down Ltd. How often does the individual get done for IR35 after the Ltd is closed down?
            Never as far I could work out, I'll let CUK know if they get me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You'll need a good IR35 lawyer whe HMRC find you've gone outside to in as well.
              You have conflated two possibilities and decided they are the same. I've noticed you do that a lot on this forum.

If the reason for change is that the end client no longer engages with PSC or smaller Limited Companies then it has not turned from an outside IR35 gig to an inside IR35 gig. It is important to evidence this, which should be easy enough with a statement from the client stating that they are choosing to no longer engage with PSC/small Limited Companies, along with the same for the agency. The main risk is that the individual may be unable to see the mathematics calculations in the back office and legal advice the client has received. If it mentions that they must now see all PSC/small Limited Companies as inside IR35 and mentions the phrase throughout the advice then the truth is that they are clearly branding everybody inside IR35 and are therefore not engaging with PSCs.

It has altered from the original Ltd Co providing services to the end client, to one in which the end client does not entertain any form of small Limited Company or/and PSC. There are other reasons to use an umbrella company and it's not simply just for inside IR35 gig reasons.

To recognise the distinct difference between the two scenarios is important. For me, if I was this sort of contractor, I would avoid staying at a client who insisted on this change because it suggests a personal relationship - the control of business method. On the face of it there are other possibilities than the gig automatically changing from self business decision to inside IR35 automatically. The main issue here is that half of the posters can barely type basic English, let alone manage a business relationship, and therefore for those people it is best they do not stay at a gig if they are currently using a PSC and wish to stay on the same project/role with the same end client doing much the same tasks.

Comment

Working...
              X