• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flash Gordon's Ming the Merciless is a 'discriminatory stereotype', says UK film cen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash Gordon's Ming the Merciless is a 'discriminatory stereotype', says UK film cen

" Flash Gordon's Ming the Merciless is a 'discriminatory stereotype', says UK film censor

The BBFC said having Swedish actor Max von Sydow as a villain of East Asian appearance could be deemed 'downright offensive'

To the generation that grew up watching Flash Gordon, Max von Sydow as Ming the Merciless was one of the great screen villains.

He was also a “discriminatory stereotype”, according to the British Board of Film Classification. The censor has added the warning to its rating for Flash Gordon, saying the casting of a white actor in the role could be considered “dubious if not outright offensive”.

Ming hailed from the Planet Mongo but, the BBFC said, was clearly of East Asian origin."

Flash Gordon's Ming the Merciless is a 'discriminatory stereotype', says UK film censor

I hope the BBFC included a trigger warning.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      "Ming hailed from the Planet Mongo but, the BBFC said, was clearly of East Asian origin."

Comment

MongoDB is therefore a racially offensive term as well.

It should to be renamed to MingeDB inorder to be less offensive.

Comment

What I don't get is the idea that having an asian actor play the role would make it OK...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            What I don't get is the idea that having an asian actor play the role would make it OK...
            Where does it say that? Is it in the main article?

Comment

Nah - that's not south-east asian. Slightly asiatic eyes, but overall, no.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yeh. Genghis Khan was a nice bloke really.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Yeh. Genghis Khan was a nice bloke really.
                  a bit too left wing for me though.

Comment

Don't worry the BBC are remaking Zulu with Idris Elba playing lieutenant Chard and Will Smith as Bromhead.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X