• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shopped to the Covid Cops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopped to the Covid Cops

Friends of ours posted in a state of mild shock on a shared message thread that they'd just spent the last hour being interrogated on their doorstep by the police, after a neighbour reported them for "breaching COVID regulations".

They know and get on well with everyone on their street, who have mostly lived there decades, real 'pillar of the community' types. Their adult son has just moved back home to live with them and one supposes a neighbour thought he was popping by for Christmas. It just illustrates how stretched everyone is feeling that they would react by phoning the police. Tempers are frayed, be safe out there
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Blimey, that's harsh. Did the filth say what the detail of the complaint was?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Friends of ours posted in a state of mild shock on a shared message thread that they'd just spent the last hour being interrogated on their doorstep by the police, after a neighbour reported them for "breaching COVID regulations".

They know and get on well with everyone on their street, who have mostly lived there decades, real 'pillar of the community' types. Their adult son has just moved back home to live with them and one supposes a neighbour thought he was popping by for Christmas. It just illustrates how stretched everyone is feeling that they would react by phoning the police. Tempers are frayed, be safe out there
      It was the son who shopped them HTH.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Nothing like that surprises me. When I was working in Jersey CI, my favourite pastime was going through the archives at the Occupation Museum; there were loads of letters from snitching neighbours sent the the Gestapo.

Back in Blighty, the neighbours are forever reporting petty things to the council such as the odd overhanging branch etc
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Unfortunately my experience with British plod is this is how it works. I guess it's a consequence of hanging out with criminals most of the time, but so many don't have a clue how to interact with normal people, who aren't scroats trying to screw the system.

How did it take an hour?

- We've received a complaint that you've been breaching regulations
          - Oh yes - what exactly
          - That you've received a visitor
          - Our son has come to live with us having finished his stint in the army (or whatever).
          - Ah, alright then sir, thank you very much, That'll be all. Have a Merry Christmas and sorry to disturb you.

Or was it along the lines of
          - We kno' you dunnit, you was seen wot you dunnit?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Blimey, that's harsh. Did the filth say what the detail of the complaint was?
            I'm not sure. I don't think the police said they'd done anything wrong, though they did advise not to 'flaunt' having family over Christmas.

mi fone did this on tappy tawk

Comment

A whole hour is a long time to be on the doorstep at this time of year. I wonder what really happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                A whole hour is a long time to be on the doorstep at this time of year. I wonder what really happened.
                It might've been half an hour but I know they were exhausted by the end.

Sorry I missed a detail that their son and his partner moved home from London and just happened to be a day or so before tier 4 and all this New Variant news. But otherwise that's the full story.

mi fone did this on tappy tawk

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

"Formally detain me and interview me under caution, or piss off"

Comment

Working...
                    X