• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Move to remote working and the impact on the contractor market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move to remote working and the impact on the contractor market?

There is a massive sea change coming.

What are your clients saying to you about remote working?

I’ve been told that even after covid is under control there is no way employees will ever return to working 5 days a week on site. It seems flexible and remote working will become the norm everywhere.

Personally I feel this is a positive for the contract market in terms of number of roles, and obviously a bonus if you are in-side IR-35 and incur expenses.

They might use it as an excuse to drop rates though.

Any thoughts?

If I don't need you to be onsite why do I need someone in the UK?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Haven't we gone over this many times since March?

Comment

If every employee works from home how can that be a positive differentiator for contractors regarding IR35? You'll be doing exactly what pernies do.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Exactly which is why it's better to be needed onsite a day or 2 a week for meetings.

Anything where you have to communicate with the business or important clients/suppliers helps as well as they likely want someone who can communicate well and won't get that with a cheap offshore resource.

Comment

Time zone, language, quality and culture off the top of my head.

A friend runs a body shop with IT bods in India. They still need a sizable chunk of staff in the UK to do all the business facing work.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
              I’ve been told that even after covid is under control there is no way employees will ever return to working 5 days a week on site. It seems flexible and remote working will become the norm everywhere.
              Have you attempted to apply any common sense to the first part of that sentence or are you just taking someone's opinion as given?

And only an idiot wouldn't be able to come to the conclusion in the second sentence.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Haven't we gone over this many times since March?
              Most certainly have.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"I’ve been told that even after covid is under control there is no way employees will ever return to working 5 days a week on site. It seems flexible and remote working will become the norm everywhere."

I agree, once the culture changes to just 2 or 3 days in office, 2 or 3 days from home, thats the going to be the new norm.

There will be hold out companies, that will still force 5 days in the office but they will find it harder to recruit staff for the same salary. Will have to offer more in compensation.

Comment

True, but it is also true that companies based overseas might now be minded to hire home-based UK workers, instead of using local staff (or UK staff relocated to there).

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                    True, but it is also true that companies based overseas might now be minded to hire home-based UK workers, instead of using local staff (or UK staff relocated to there).
                    At five times the rate of someone from India or Eastern Europe?

Colour me sceptical.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X