• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Move to remote working and the impact on the contractor market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    If I don't need you to be onsite why do I need someone in the UK?
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Time zone, language, quality and culture off the top of my head.

A friend runs a body shop with IT bods in India. They still need a sizable chunk of staff in the UK to do all the business facing work.
    WBS says.Offshoring works in certain specific scenarios, but as soon as you need real skill it becomes rapidly less cost effective.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      I bet you were ditched from your 2k a day contract in favour of a Russian on 100 quid a day.
      Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
        Time zone, language, quality and culture off the top of my head.

A friend runs a body shop with IT bods in India. They still need a sizable chunk of staff in the UK to do all the business facing work.
        I'd go with this too.

Quite often you see tasks that can be clearly defined or which follow a clear process are offshored. Work that requires flexibility of approach tends to stay onshore.

Comment

But the OP didn't have an argument - if there was one he would post it.

All the OP said is what anyone who has been paying attention has been hearing for months - the old ways of 5 days a week in the office are likely to be gone forever and companies will be looking for either remote or hybrid approaches where WFH is part of the week.

And there will always been exceptions to that but I really do think most companies will be looking at some variation of 2/3 days in the office 3/2 days WFH but if big savings can be made by going using offshore labour companies will be more likely to at least try it.
          Really need a sarcasm identifier

I'll add it to the new forum feature request list

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          No need to be an asshole. It's a forum, it's casual chat. You don't need to talk about something new and you dont need to support what you say either. You wouldn't in real life why do you hold a forum post to higher standards then casual conversation in real life?
          To be fair, if I'd had the same conversation over and over again in the pub I'd still be all rolly eyed and saying "not this again!"
          Last edited by ladymuck; 23 December 2020, 21:27.

Comment

Given that the OP wasn't interested in chatting I see little reason why you are attacking me for trying to work out what his argument actually was..
            I don't know. Everyone is so miserable on this forum and super negative I think it's just rubbing off on me. My apologies, I shouldn't have been so harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              WBS says.Offshoring works in certain specific scenarios, but as soon as you need real skill it becomes rapidly less cost effective.
              That is why nearshoring is a thing. CZ is booming with Deutsche Bourse et al.

Transferable skills are where it is at. Have a backup plan for your IT career. I would not recommend motorsport at the moment.

Comment

Public sector contractor. WFH until Covid is under control, then back in the office 5 days a week. The office is under Tier 4, we have been in Tier 3 for months.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

Transferable skills are where it is at. Have a backup plan for your IT career. I would not recommend motorsport at the moment.
                  I would definitely agree that CZ, Slovakia, Poland is the way to go instead of India, which is still painful even after all these years.

Anyone get any opinions on Vietnam as an offshore location? Seems to be a fast growing location.

Comment

Originally posted by reddog View Post
                    I would definitely agree that CZ, Slovakia, Poland is the way to go instead of India, which is still painful even after all these years.

Anyone get any opinions on Vietnam as an offshore location? Seems to be a fast growing location.
                    I read about Wipro (I think, I may have mis-remembered but it is one of the Indian outfits) setting up a base in Vietnam and committing to hiring about 3,000 locals. It seems to be creeping onto the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Yes 180 day guys are just as good as 900 London in office 9-5 guys

Plus will work 5 hours a day more
                      Nah. They actually work fewer hours for you. They're just quicker workers. With multiple concurrent clients.

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                      Nearshoring is good, however you still can lose out on continuity. Anyway, rates will generally increase there while decreasing here... then increase again. They won't be cheap for ever.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X