• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Move to remote working and the impact on the contractor market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshoring will be to new places - like Bham

HS2 is for the Directors to escape back to London just in time for the Opera

Comment

Remote working will remain a norm as long as it needs to and no longer. As we were given a taste of things to come in September with the constant rhetoric from government about returning to offices, as soon as they think it is safe to do so the propaganda, rhetoric and spin machines will kick into motion. Whether commercial or residential property, there are Conservative party donors to think of who won't take kindly to the decimation of their property values if companies move out of large cities.

For the record I think we'll see remote working continue for the majority of 2021 and perhaps even into early 2022 but after that expect a push to have people pointlessly commuting (when they can work from home) to bolster GDP.

Having spent much of the last 4-5 years in various contracts with large amounts of WFH, I expect this to stop.

I think the death of the office is vastly overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
        Remote working will remain a norm as long as it needs to and no longer. As we were given a taste of things to come in September with the constant rhetoric from government about returning to offices, as soon as they think it is safe to do so the propaganda, rhetoric and spin machines will kick into motion. Whether commercial or residential property, there are Conservative party donors to think of who won't take kindly to the decimation of their property values if companies move out of large cities.

For the record I think we'll see remote working continue for the majority of 2021 and perhaps even into early 2022 but after that expect a push to have people pointlessly commuting (when they can work from home) to bolster GDP.

Having spent much of the last 4-5 years in various contracts with large amounts of WFH, I expect this to stop.

My client is not renewing its office lease any any of its 5 world wide locations

WFH forever

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post

If you WFH loads before the pandemic it will continue. Some of my clients have had large amounts of WFH as it saved them loads of money on office space.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            If you WFH loads before the pandemic it will continue. Some of my clients have had large amounts of WFH as it saved them loads of money on office space.
            I worked at one place a few years ago, that built an impressive Google style building with the "smart work" concept, with no one having their own desk.

We were told by the country head, please work at home as much as you want, you are actually doing us a favour if you WFH. One problem, the manager in our area was very old school and insisted every one had to be on-site at all times, unless they have a good reason not to be. I think this sort of attitude will soon disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I really do hope you're right.

For a number of the clients I've worked with, the only reason for the significant amounts of WFH has been because either 1) they've been US based so it didn't really matter where I worked or 2) they were moving to agile working which, let's face it, was another way of saying they didn't have sufficient desk space so would often have to go onto a desk booking/rota type system.

Comment

I've been 99% WFH for the last 14 years.
                based in NL and UK, clients all over Europe.
                I won't be changing this.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  I've been 99% WFH for the last 14 years.
                  based in NL and UK, clients all over Europe.
                  I won't be changing this.
                  Neither will they

Comment

i see the OCD troll's around again.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      i see the OCD troll's around again.
                      And a Merry Christmas to you, Sir!

Comment

Working...
                      X