• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you do it?

The older lady around 8 minutes was my favourite. It was strangely fascinating to watch.

Comment

I've jumped off a 5 metre pier into the ocean and that was frightening enough. But it was absolutely exhilarating and I did it again and again afterwards. And I suppose that is the psychology of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Thirty feet? Yeah, complete doddle, although I'd jump off holding my crotch.

They say anything up to about two hundred feet is pretty much OK, with a reasonable body position on reaching the water, but much more than that and your accumulated speed means the water just doesn't have time to be displaced and is like concrete when you hit it!

Also, olympic pools have an air blower at the bottom of the pool below the diving boards, and the diffuse stream of underwater bubbles greatly "softens" the water.
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 24 December 2020, 10:18.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          I've jumped off a 5 metre pier into the ocean and that was frightening enough. But it was absolutely exhilarating and I did it again and again afterwards. And I suppose that is the psychology of it.
          My parents' labrador was same first time on a beach where there is a little bridge across a stream. Spent more time jumping off that bridge into the stream than running about on the sand. A few other dogs joined in after a while. Must be some sort of evolutionary instinct, or the lemming gene.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Don't try it sober

Comment

In her youth, SWMBO would routinely go off a board that high, but she was getting close to Olympic standard as a diver before injuring her neck off a much lower board into not quite enough water.

She could still make a standing dive in from the side of a pool without making a splash until comparatively recently!!!

Never understood why she married a complete non-swimmer who sees diving as just a difficult way to get wet....
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Never understood why she married a complete non-swimmer who sees diving as just a difficult way to get wet....
                Big life insurance?

Comment

Yes. In Bali in March of this year at a waterfall. Started at 5M, then did the 10M, backed out of the 15M.

The 10M took a lock longer to fall down than expected.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    In her youth, SWMBO would routinely go off a board that high, but she was getting close to Olympic standard as a diver before injuring her neck off a much lower board into not quite enough water.

She could still make a standing dive in from the side of a pool without making a splash until comparatively recently!!!

Maybe you were good at a different type of diving.

In related news, whenever they have a local news piece about the beavers being reintroduced into the wild, to help protect against flooding downstream, I am still waiting for the presenters to crack up about any potential innuendo. They must be pros.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X