• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WInter tyres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    No, but nor do I put on the most expensive money can buy and only ride in perfect, summer, conditions on a brand new bike with ABS etc.

Like all things, I make a reasoned decision based on risk/cost/reward. I don't think winter tyres are worth the cost in the UK. If somebody would like to supply them to me free of charge and store the others ones I'd be more than happy to take them - but unless you're offering....?
    Be careful what you wish for. Quite a few years ago I did a project for Jon Olsson & Redbull. How many studs do you need?

But seriously, sure. I would store them for you.

Comment

Best to get all season tyres, they are perfectly sufficient in winter. I have them and there is no noticeable difference to winter tyres.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Best to get all season tyres, they are perfectly sufficient in winter. I have them and there is no noticeable difference to winter tyres.
        Plus you can get all-season three peak S+M, it saves a lot of money.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          Why is there such reluctance to use winter tyres in the UK?
          Because most tyres in the UK are rated all season.

You don't need to switch, the tyres have good functionality during most British weather you're likely to meet. If I ever came back to the UK, I'd get a set a chains, but winter/summer tyres - nah.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have been using winter tires for the last four years as the rainfall/mud has been pretty bad. Had some glorious weather last summer but we were in a pandemic so I hardly drove anywhere anyway.

If you live in a city summer tires are fine though - until there is snow.

Comment

Just get two exactly the same cars - one with winter tyres and the second with summer.

HTH

P.S. Even if you have winter tyres and can slow down nicely the car behind you won't...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Because most tyres in the UK are rated all season.

You don't need to switch, the tyres have good functionality during most British weather you're likely to meet. If I ever came back to the UK, I'd get a set a chains, but winter/summer tyres - nah.
                Where did you get this from? Not a single manufacturer equips all season tyres on their cars when sold new in the UK. Most used cars are running on mid range & budget summer tyres.

The UK premium market is dominated by ContactSports & P Zeros.
                Last edited by clearedforlanding; 29 December 2020, 05:53.

Comment

Most used cars are running on barely legal bald tyres.
                  FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    FTFY
                    You forgot "all of different unknown brands from a part worn tyre dealer".

Comment

You forgot "all of different unknown brands from MarillionFan's Really Used Tyres Amazon Prime Shop".
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X