• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WInter tyres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    In 16 years on the roads I've had a single bump in bad weather - a single-vehicle accident where I hit a kerb with a hire car after catching some black ice. I.e., a car where I had no control over the tyre choice.

In those 16 years I've daily driven around 10 cars. So, on average £150 a corner = ~£6k in tyres and it wouldn't have prevented the one accident I had!. No ta bud, I'll just carry on paying insurance and driving sensibly. Far cheaper and easier to simply stay home the handful of time we've had serious serious weather in that time.
    So your one and only accident was on summer tyres on a road with ice?

You say you had no control over the tyre choice on that occasion, yet now you do, you choose not to use the correct tyres. Strange logic.

Call it what it is, it is not an accident, you lost control of a vehicle & had a collision. On that occasion it was a kerb, next time it could be a child.

My business partner is a former F1 driver. He uses winter tyres. I will leave it there.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      So your one and only accident was on summer tyres on a road with ice?

You say you had no control over the tyre choice on that occasion, yet now you do, you choose not to use the correct tyres. Strange logic.

Call it what it is, it is not an accident, you lost control of a vehicle & had a collision. On that occasion it was a kerb, next time it could be a child.

My business partner is a former F1 driver. He uses winter tyres. I will leave it there.
      I have no idea what tyres were on that vehicle, and nor do you. Nor do you know whether winter tyres would have had an effect on that occasion - I doubt it, personally.

Also, you seem to be struggling with the definition of accident.
      Last edited by vwdan; 29 December 2020, 18:23.

Comment

I have no idea what tyres were on that vehicle, and nor do you. Nor do you know whether winter tyres would have had an effect on that occasion - I doubt it, personally.

Also, you seem to be struggling with the definition of accident.
        So you didn't check the tyres on a rental vehicle when taking possession of it? OK.

I can assure you that winter tyres would have improved the grip of a motor vehicle on ice. You don't seem to have addressed the second point.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          Some could argue the same about ABS and ESP albeit both have been made mandatory due to benefits to safety. They both get into action only in extreme situations and when they rely on the coefficient of friction between your tire and road. ABS releasing braking pressure to both get control of the steering wheel and do not get sliding friction. ESP trying to counter-act any destabilising momentums by breaking on the relevant wheel.
          For both of which the coefficient of fricition is paramount.
          Right, but again, you're talking to a guy who likes classic cars and motorbikes! I'm not anti this technology, and if a car comes with it then great - but I'm quite happy operating without it. My campervan had all round drums brakes and no servo!

Like I say, I'm not one of these people who doesn't wear a seatbelt but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way to spend money to counter what I see as an acceptable and minor risk.

So in that sense I will indeed make exactly the same argument.

It is not as if you are not using them because in let’s say in 4y
          you’d have gone through both sets.
          The only cost is storage and extra rims.]
          This argument only works if you get through at least one set of tyres during the lifetime of the car. I've never owned a modern car for 4 years - most of my moderns are cheap and cheerful s which I keep a year or two and then throw away or leases. Apart from punctures and such like I'll rarely get through two sets of tyres - our lease will go back with the same tyres it came with.

Comment

So you didn't check the tyres on a rental vehicle when taking possession of it? OK.

I can assure you that winter tyres would have improved the grip of a motor vehicle on ice. You don't seem to have addressed the second point.
            Oh come on, now you're being ridiculous. Yes, I would have checked they were legal - no I didn't confirm the make and model, and if I did I doubt I'd recall given it was well over a decade ago.

Improved doesn't mean it would have prevented the accident.

What was your second point?

Comment

What was your second point?
              Something along the lines of you don't learn from accidents.

Comment

Something along the lines of you don't learn from accidents.
                Given it was a single, minor, walking-speed accident in ~2008, and since then I've at times put 30,000+ a year on cars without a repeat of it I'd say I'm pretty happy with the outcomes.

Maybe because I'm the type of person to accept fault and alter my approach, rather than blame equipment and buy myself out of it.

Your username makes me laugh - perhaps you could come flying with me in my 1970's technology plane? Unfortunately, I can't afford a brand new Cirrus with its parachute system, anti collision system and onboard weather map, so apparently I'm now akin to a murderer! OMG, won't somebody think of the children!
                Last edited by vwdan; 29 December 2020, 18:48.

Comment

Given it was a single, minor, walking-speed accident in ~2008, and since then I've at times put 30,000+ a year on cars without a repeat of it I'd say I'm pretty happy with the outcomes.

Maybe because I'm the type of person to accept fault and alter my approach, rather than blame equipment and buy myself out of it.

Your username makes me laugh - perhaps you could come flying with me in my 1970's technology plane?
                  I am good thanks.

Happy to meet you to compare the performance of our planes. The design of mine dates back to 1958, but oddly mine which was built more recently has a glass cockpit. Not sure why they bothered to update the technology.

BTW Clearedforlanding stems from when nearly I trimmed the tree before Runway 27 at Beccles doing circuits. Rainer gave me the nickname.

Comment

I am good thanks.

Happy to meet you to compare the performance of our planes. The design of mine dates back to 1958, but oddly mine which was built more recently has a glass cockpit. Not sure why they bothered to update the technology.

BTW Clearedforlanding stems from when nearly I trimmed the tree before Runway 27 at Beccles doing circuits. Rainer gave me the nickname.
                    Sounds very dangerous - why are you happy to fly in such an old aircraft with such old technology? Should you not be looking for the newest possible, with as much safety equipment as possible? I presume you always fly with a parachute, at least?

What's the engine tech in it? I presume it's FADEC and multi engine? I mean, you can't be relying on a single-engine and carbs surely? What if you crash into a school? Selfish selfish selfish.
                    Last edited by vwdan; 29 December 2020, 19:13.

Comment

Sounds very dangerous - why are you happy to fly in such an old aircraft with such old technology? Should you not be looking for the newest possible, with as much safety equipment as possible? I presume you always fly with a parachute, at least?

What's the engine tech in it? I presume it's FADEC? I mean, you can't be relying on carbs surely? What if you crash into a school? Selfish selfish selfish.
                      I think a better comparison you could make would be wings on planes to tyres on cars in this example.
                      Last edited by clearedforlanding; 29 December 2020, 19:15. Reason: wo5rds

Comment

Working...
                      X