• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WInter tyres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    I think a better comparison you could make would be wings on planes to tyres on cars in this application.
    Why? You have a choice? You don't have to fly old aircraft - new aircraft are safer, more reliable and have better safety systems. Why do you choose not to?

Going back to your point, they'll have better aerodynamics, better designs, probably better stall characteristics etc. Again, why are you choosing to not use that technology?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Why? You have a choice? You don't have to fly old aircraft - new aircraft are safer, more reliable and have better safety systems. Why do you choose not to?
      I exercise that choice. The 182 Skylane's origins date back to 56. I have a much more recent version.
      Last edited by clearedforlanding; 29 December 2020, 19:22. Reason: 58 to 56

Comment

I exercise that choice.
        Even knowing it's more dangerous than other options? Like, what, you made a value judgement based on risk/cost/reward? Wow, how incredibly selfish. It doesn't sound like you're thinking of the children at all here.

Comment

Even knowing it's more dangerous than other options? Like, what, you made a value judgement based on risk/cost/reward? Wow, how incredibly selfish. It doesn't sound like you're thinking of the children at all here.
          Why is it more dangerous having a modern Skylane built last decade as opposed to an earlier '50s 182?

Comment

Why is it more dangerous having a modern Skylane built last decade as opposed to an earlier '50s 182?
            It's not more dangerous than that - it's more dangerous than other options. For example, you could have a Cirrus with its ballistic parachute and top spec avionics. Or a twin, like a DA62.

Why don't you?

In fact, why do you fly at all? I presume it's a hobby? A pretty dangerous one, all-round (Last I checked GA falls somewhere between motorcycling and driving). How can you bear taking such unnecessary risk?

Comment

It's not more dangerous than that - it's more dangerous than other options. For example, you could have a Cirrus with its ballistic parachute and top spec avionics. Or a twin, like a DA62.

Why don't you?

In fact, why do you fly at all? I presume it's a hobby? A pretty dangerous one, all-round (Last I checked GA falls somewhere between motorcycling and driving). How can you bear taking such unnecessary risk?

Comment

Sounds like you made a decision based on risk/cost/reward, no?

Gorgeous aircraft btw - just a shame the wings are in the wrong place #CherokeeCrew4Lyfe

Comment

Sounds like you made a decision based on risk/cost/reward, no?

Gorgeous aircraft btw - just a shame the wings are in the wrong place #CherokeeCrew4Lyfe
                  I like looking down at whatever I will inevitably crash into.

Have a lovely evening Dan.

Comment

And there is the AN2; pretty much fail safe and glides wonderfly...

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X