• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WInter tyres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WInter tyres

What twats.

Heavy snow in Midlands leads to travel warnings and road disruption - BBC News

The first photo says it all. Why is there such reluctance to use winter tyres in the UK?

Is it because people think they are exclusively for snow and don't realise they perform better than summer tyres at less than 7 degrees? Obviously they help a lot in snow as well.

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    What twats.

Heavy snow in Midlands leads to travel warnings and road disruption - BBC News

The first photo says it all. Why is there such reluctance to use winter tyres in the UK?

Is it because people think they are exclusively for snow and don't realise they perform better than summer tyres at less than 7 degrees? Obviously they help a lot in snow as well.
    Yes, you might be right.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Yes, you might be right.
      Or maybe because they are consumables and they are not part of their monthly PCP payments.
      Last edited by clearedforlanding; 28 December 2020, 19:16.

Comment

Because winter tyres are expensive game for something that may or may not happen. Last real snow was 3 years ago now.

Then there's having to find somewhere to store 4 tyres.

I'll be blunt, I'll be ****ed if I'm paying £600, plus the refetting/removal twice a year and having to store whichever set isn't on for the sake of having tyres to cover a single event in the lifetime of the car ownership!
        Last edited by vwdan; 28 December 2020, 19:22.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Because winter tyres are expensive game for something that may or may not happen. Last real snow was 3 years ago now.

I'll be blunt, I'll be ****ed if I'm paying £600, plus the refetting/removal twice a year and having to store whichever set isn't on for the sake of having tyres to cover a single event in the lifetime of the car ownership!
          WHS

Comment

How often does it drop below 7 degrees where you live?

How much do you spend on Airbags that statistically will not deploy in your lifetime?

Comment

How often does it drop below 7 degrees where you live?
              Not that often - stats point to about 2 - 3 months of the year it will AVERAGE below 7 degrees. Bearing in mind a chunk of that will be nightime, so daytime temps will be higher. This is a pretty awful chart, but temps in the UK just don't get low very often and even in the dead of winter we can get reasonably mild temps:

• Monthly maximum temperature England 2020 | Statista

How much do you spend on Airbags that statistically will not deploy in your lifetime?
              No idea, but I don't have a choice there do I! I also ride motorbikes and drive classic cars - so try another approach if you're thinking of going the "OMG, would you put a cost on safety" approach
              Last edited by vwdan; 28 December 2020, 19:36.

Comment

Not that often - stats point to about 2 - 3 months of the year it will AVERAGE below 7 degrees. Bearing in mind a chunk of that will be nightime, so daytime temps will be higher. This is a pretty awful chart, but temps in the UK just don't get low very often:

• Monthly maximum temperature England 2020 | Statista

No idea, but I ride motorbikes and drive classic cars - so try another approach
                Sure. Would you put Chinese no brand budget tyres on your motorcycle on a wet day & mash the front brake while going over the paint at a zebra crossing?

*Please would you be so kind as to do it without leathers for additional squid points.
                Last edited by clearedforlanding; 28 December 2020, 19:40.

Comment

Sure. Would you put Chinese no brand budget tyres on your motorcycle on a wet day & mash the front break while going over the paint at a zebra crossing?
                  No, but nor do I put on the most expensive money can buy and only ride in perfect, summer, conditions on a brand new bike with ABS etc.

Like all things, I make a reasoned decision based on risk/cost/reward. I don't think winter tyres are worth the cost in the UK. If somebody would like to supply them to me free of charge and store the others ones I'd be more than happy to take them - but unless you're offering....?

Comment

BTW: New regs in Germany require winter tyres to be marked with three peaks. Ideal running temperature is only one factor, tread is very important. Winter snow = mud tyres wok on the principal that some snow or mud will stick in the tread; snow sticks to snow, and mud sticks to mud helping the adhesion of the tyre.

On my last tyre change, I went for three peaks M+S all round. I did not bother changing back in the summer. I assumed they would wear out very quick but they have not after three years there is 4 to 5 mm. They are fantastic in the wet and floods and wow on the snow.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X