• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bojo's dad applies for French citizenship

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bojo's dad applies for French citizenship

The father of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was in the process of applying for a French passport to maintain his ties with the European Union after Brexit.

Stanley Johnson, a former member of the European Parliament who voted Remain in Britain’s 2016 referendum, told RTL radio he wanted to become a French citizen because of strong family links to France.

“If I understand it correctly, I am French. My mother was born in France, her mother was totally French as was her grandfather. So for me it is about reclaiming what I already have. And that makes me very happy,” said the 80-year-old Johnson, who was speaking in French.
    “I will always be a European, that’s for sure. One cannot tell the British people: you are not Europeans. Having a tie with the European Union is important,” he added
    British PM Johnson's Father Applying for French Citizenship - Novinite.com - Sofia News Agency
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Fair play.

Comment

As long as he makes his Brexit voting wife stay in the UK.

Though we know someone lied about that....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I would laugh if they said, okay but you'll have to renounce your British citizenship
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

This is old news. He had previously said that he was doing it for "the grand children", so that they might be able to escape to the continent should they so choose.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Rats fleeing a sinking ship

Comment

Love the idea that according to the old duffer you can be British or you can be European. Last time I looked, the UK was geographically part of Europe, as are France, Germany, Latvia and many others. If you want to claim citizenship of another country , bugger off and do it, you don't need to justify it to anyone other than your own family. And, perhaps, the citizens of your chosen destination...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

"“If I understand it correctly, I am French. My mother was born in France"

He's managing his domicle.

Comment

Your domicile’s usually the country your father considered his permanent home when you were born. It may have changed if you moved abroad and you do not intend to return.
                  Tax on foreign income: 'Non-domiciled' residents - GOV.UK

"Hi, is this the local newspaper? I'm the father of the Prime Minister and I would like to say something about the nationality of my mother"

Comment

Rejected. He needed 5 years continuous residence, more than 182 days per year. Also doubts about his French grandmother registering his mother as French

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X