• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Room temperature superconductivity at normal atmospheric pressure?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Room temperature superconductivity at normal atmospheric pressure?

An interesting ArXiv paper has just been published that claims to have achieved room-temperature superconductivity at normal atmospheric pressure, across a periodically perforated Niobium sheet:

2020-12-31 Room-temperature superconductivity in an artificial 2D Mott-insulating square lattice and its advanced condensed phase that generates a low-loss current in the atmosphere: A possible perpetual motion machine

I haven't read it in detail, and probably wouldn't understand it all if I tried. But the basic gist seems clear enough.

The author waxes lyrical about "Perpetual Motion" towards the end of the conclusion, and this phrase appears in the paper's title, which is somewhat worrying from a kook awareness standpoint. But the paper is formatted far more professionally than a typical kook submission.

Also, the author is a professional physicist. But that in itself isn't conclusive proof against kookery, because even the best scientists can go off the rails in their dotage or perhaps after a mental breakdown or similar.

But it will be interesting to see if the results reported in this paper are mentioned soon in New Scientist or taken up on any popular blogs such as Quanta Magazine

Niobium is currently around $ 40,000 per metric ton. So, at roughly six times the current price for copper, it wouldn't be absurdly and impractically expensive for bulk use in flat (and heavily punctured) cables. Might be an investment opportunity there.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Perpetual motion claims ain’t gonna help the case.

Comment

What occurred to me is that the rotor of a perpetual motion machine would induce currents, which I think will extinguish the current in the superconductor. So basically the machine would rotate for a while.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 January 2021, 11:02.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        What occurred to me is that the rotor of a perpetual motion machine would induce currents, which I think will extinguish the current in the superconductor. So basically the machine would rotate for a while.
        I bet you're a blast at parties...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I bet you're a blast at parties...
          You have 44k posts.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            You have 44k posts.
            What a lightweight!

Comment

How nice to have a decent thread in general(apart from Monday links). Instead of putting up with Smegger's sexual fantasties and Atwat's boring dross.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                How nice to have a decent thread in general(apart from Monday links). Instead of putting up with Smegger's sexual fantasties and Atwat's boring dross.
                And Brillo’s whining.

Oh.

Comment

Working...
                X