• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Over 55s should pay for the costs of coronavirus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over 55s should pay for the costs of coronavirus

Over 55s should pay for the costs of coronavirus on society

Who should I pay? The virus will need to be paid for eventually, but it shouldv not be those in work paying taxes who shoulder the burden. Young people, in their teens and twenties, have lost an important year of living their lives how they would wish, having been denied social interaction, access to the arts, and activities that are formative in their lives.

They also see their parents or grandparents comfortable in their large homes, with plenty of space to work from home if they need or want to. They probably don’t need to work as they are the recipients of those gold-plated final salary pensions that the younger generations are denied because they are not (or ever were?) affordable.

These millennials and post-millennials cannot aspire to those large family homes unless they can inherit them. As part of that older generation, I definitely feel I should be giving something back. In hindsight, it is obvious I have gained at the expense of the long-term prospects of young adults.

Rishi Sunak needs to be looking at how and when that wealth tax is applied to over-55s to pay the costs of Coronavirus on society. I’m even going to get the vaccine this year – it’s not clear they will.
    Over 55s should pay for the costs of coronavirus on society | The Independent
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

They have been paying, for decades.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They need to pay for Brexit first.

Comment

Looking at the mortality age groups I'd say over 55's have being paying the price all along.

Maybe the younger twats that still go out in to town centers etc should be paying their bit as well..

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Everyone will be paying for this. (Well, everyone apart from those Hedge Fund managers and their mates).

You can forget that £1000 tax free on your savings interest. Every bit of that interest will have tax on it. And you know that £40K on pension? That'll go up in smoke as well...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            You can forget that £1000 tax free on your savings interest.
            With upcoming negative rates people would wish they had to pay tax on savings interest

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Everyone will be paying for this. (Well, everyone apart from those Hedge Fund managers and their mates).

You can forget that £1000 tax free on your savings interest. Every bit of that interest will have tax on it. And you know that £40K on pension? That'll go up in smoke as well...
              Boy, if the covid deniers are up in arms now, wait till they have to pay for what they are denying!
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Boy, if the covid deniers are up in arms now, wait till they have to pay for what they are denying!
                The true-Brit freedom fighters are based in Monaco.

Comment

Young people will always pay the price, that is how the society piramidal scheme works.
                  Pension pots will take the beating as inflation will be significant.

Tax rates will increase.
                  All this because people one way or another will have to be pushed back into work.
                  People sitting at home or working remotely it is a no go as it lets the libertarian spirit in them raise. They will be hearded into work asap to be micromanaged and pushed into a sumissive docile behavior.
                  So that the rulling class can still do what they do.

Some things will never change unless people stand for them.

Wfh will never have leggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    The true-Brit freedom fighters are based in Monaco.
                    About tax those who enjoy having British passport paid the taxes regardless where they lived, just like US Citizens do.

Comment

Working...
                    X