• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: The Guardian

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I predict a rise in news aggregators.
    For less than the cost of a times (murdoch version) sub you can get Apple news. That includes the times and Wall Street journal and some rubbish.
    But I expect we will see more of this over the coming year.
    Or you can get real news from Simon Dolan's Twitter feed for free.

Comment

I'm not seeing any evidence of this. What's the source of this particular nonsense?

They have always asked for contributions but have equally always said they will provide news for free online.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I'm not seeing any evidence of this. What's the source of this particular nonsense?

They have always asked for contributions but have equally always said they will provide news for free online.
        The site is blocked unless you register; unless it changed from yesterday.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          The site is blocked unless you register; unless it changed from yesterday.
          Working fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Same thing happens when you follow some women.
            What kind of women do you follow Paddy ?
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              What kind of women do you follow Paddy ?
              Asking for a friend?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                I predict a rise in news aggregators.
                For less than the cost of a times (murdoch version) sub you can get Apple news. That includes the times and Wall Street journal and some rubbish.
                But I expect we will see more of this over the coming year.
                What I don't understand is why some form of "micropayment" aggregator doesn't exist that could, under one subscription, allow you to view articles that you find interesting for a few pence a time. I'm sure I heard the idea floated years ago, and it makes perfect sense to me. The problem at the moment isn't just the idea of paywalls, its the fact that you would need to juggle so many different subscriptions to so many different publications that it all gets a bit too much. I'd be more than happy to pay for content as I use it, but I'm not adding another 15 standing orders to my bank account. If someone isn't working on this, they should be - and it would probably work out well for the publications as well. People baulk at the idea of even a relatively small monthly subscription, but not at a one-off 5p spend in the moment. I've no doubt quite a few places would end up getting £5 a month off me.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                  What I don't understand is why some form of "micropayment" aggregator doesn't exist that could, under one subscription, allow you to view articles that you find interesting for a few pence a time. I'm sure I heard the idea floated years ago, and it makes perfect sense to me. The problem at the moment isn't just the idea of paywalls, its the fact that you would need to juggle so many different subscriptions to so many different publications that it all gets a bit too much. I'd be more than happy to pay for content as I use it, but I'm not adding another 15 standing orders to my bank account. If someone isn't working on this, they should be - and it would probably work out well for the publications as well. People baulk at the idea of even a relatively small monthly subscription, but not at a one-off 5p spend in the moment. I've no doubt quite a few places would end up getting £5 a month off me.
                  I'd be happy with a pence per article fee maybe based on the length of the article and the cover price of the physical paper.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I'd be happy with a pence per article fee maybe based on the length of the article and the cover price of the physical paper.
                    You’d be happy. but not the newspaper

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      You’d be happy. but not the newspaper
                      Better than nothing. I suspect they could end up earning more from a micro payments model if they gave it some proper thought.

EDIT: Maybe not, unless there's a wholesale shake up

Why micropayments will never be a thing in journalism - Columbia Journalism Review
                      Last edited by ladymuck; 5 January 2021, 12:01.

Comment

Working...
                      X