• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trump declares himself Emperor - his supporters storm the Capitol!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must say, I think the Democrats would be very stupid to pursue these cases too rigorously and vindictively once Trumpy has gone and the dust has settled, because it will simply entrench and intensify right-wing opposition.

It would be wiser to let it rest (assuming there are no more big marches, as currently threatened). But that Nancy Pelosi seems a nasty piece of work, and will doubtless want to keep plugging away at this, despite Citizen Bidet's stated wish in one of his election speeches to "start a healing process and bring people together" (or words to that effect).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      I must say, I think the Democrats would be very stupid to pursue these cases too rigorously and vindictively once Trumpy has gone and the dust has settled, because it will simply entrench and intensify right-wing opposition.

It would be wiser to let it rest (assuming there are no more big marches, as currently threatened). But that Nancy Pelosi seems a nasty piece of work, and will doubtless want to keep plugging away at this, despite Citizen Bidet's stated wish in one of his election speeches to "start a healing process and bring people together" (or words to that effect).
      If Hillary Clinton had been in charge, lost the election and sent an angry BLM mob to trash the Capitol, do you think the Republicans would have simply said "let bygones be bygones" ?

Would Donald Trump be arguing with his supporters not to lock her up?
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 January 2021, 12:36.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

They want to prevent him from standing for any office in the US again.

Did you see this from Arnie?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

If Hillary Clinton had been in charge, lost the election and sent an angry BLM mob to trash the Capitol, do you think the Republicans would have simply said "let bygones be bygones" ?

Would Donald Trump be arguing with his supporters not to lock her up?
          In that hypothetical situation, if Trump did so then (depending on the specific circumstances) it would be equally stupid and in the long run counterproductive.

Comment

In that hypothetical situation, if Trump did so then (depending on the specific circumstances) it would be equally stupid and in the long run counterproductive.
            I don't know, we'll see, not doing anything sounds like cowering to an angry mob in case they do it again. My view is crack down on the mob and whoever organised it. It seems to me that these rightwing mobs are going to big problem whatever you do. You may as well crack down on them. You need to read comments on Breitbart; they want to lynch Biden regardless of what he does.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

The impeachment process was put in place for a reason. If people think that this isn't a case for impeachment, then they've lost the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                The impeachment process was put in place for a reason. If people think that this isn't a case for impeachment, then they've lost the plot.
                Indeed this isn't just an inappropriate speech, the mob trashed the Capitol and Trump cheered them on while he was watching them on TV.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Indeed this isn't just an inappropriate speech, the mob trashed the Capitol and Trump cheered them on while he was watching them on TV.
                  It is such a clear violation of all his responsibilities, that if impeachment is not valid for this situation, there is little point to it.

Comment

It is such a clear violation of all his responsibilities, that if impeachment is not valid for this situation, there is little point to it.
                    Has it been established that Trump actively encouraged the hotheads to invade the Capitol? My impression was he merely approved of the demo outside it, and later (albeit after a slight delay) he actually condemned the hothead trespassers.

My opinion FWIW is based on political expediency rather than legal rectitude. The two are not always the same, although the Yanks are so legalistic and litigious they may lose sight of that.

Also, isn't any attempt to prevent Trump ever standing for public office again anti-democratic, and likely to inflame and alienate his many supporters (almost half of the US electorate who voted don't forget)?

Comment

I don't know what burden of evidence is needed, or is it simply a popular vote? If we were in a court of law Trump could very easily claim he was endorsing peaceful protest. Legally I should think it would be hard to pin it on him, even though it seems pretty obvious.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X