• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Click and collect services could be restricted to supermarkets only

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Click and collect services could be restricted to supermarkets only

“ Click and collect services could be banned everywhere apart from supermarkets and “essential retail” under proposals discussed by ministers, The Telegraph can disclose.

It is understood that scaling back the use of collection services for restaurants and takeaway services, as well as non-essential retailers, was raised as part of the Cabinet sub-committee known as "Covid O" on Sunday.

Two sources also confirmed that discussions had been held on mandating the use of face masks outdoors, with the only exception being inside a "private dwelling", although a third suggested any change could be limited to guidance.”

Click and collect services could be restricted to supermarkets only

I only live three minutes' walk from the Chinese, so I don't click and collect, I walk there and place my order at the counter. There's hardly ever any other customers in the place as most of their trade is delivery; maybe three times in the past twelve months.

I'll be quite annoyed if I can't do that any more. Long before all this, I'd already worked out that given traffic lights and parking, it would take the delivery driver longer to get the food to my door in his car than it takes me on foot.

Maybe I'll order something from the kebab shop opposite so I can see if they get in the car and drive off before the satnav kicks in and tells them they're already there

Comment

My rent might go up if that goes through

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I only live three minutes' walk from the Chinese, so I don't click and collect, I walk there and place my order at the counter. There's hardly ever any other customers in the place as most of their trade is delivery; maybe three times in the past twelve months.

I'll be quite annoyed if I can't do that any more. Long before all this, I'd already worked out that given traffic lights and parking, it would take the delivery driver longer to get the food to my door in his car than it takes me on foot.

Maybe I'll order something from the kebab shop opposite so I can see if they get in the car and drive off before the satnav kicks in and tells them they're already there
        They make us suffer due to the tulipness of others.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          They make us suffer due to the tulipness of others.
          I saw an interesting case being made on Twitter that, in fact, most people do abide by the regulations. But it's in the government's interest to encourage the notion that lots of people aren't following the rules, as it stops people realising that the primary cause of the mess we're now in is the government's own manifest and multiple failures in addressing the pandemic.

Comment

To be fair Govt is only responsible for giving out 5G licenses, but the virus is actually spread by people...

Comment

I noticed PC World up the road is open for click and collect. You can't go into the shop; you have to queue at the entrance and an oik does the needful. One entrance seems to be set up for that and the other for customer service stuff.

Comment

They should be forcing supermarkets to operate by click and collect or home delivery only to disperse people to other food outlets rather than closing all the competition so no choice but to cram everyone into supermarkets.

Inept government causing all the damage not the few flouting the rules to a degree it makes a real difference in catching or transmitting covid.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Went to buy milk, bread and fruit/veg (which for some reason seemed to be in good supply despite recent events). Seemed quite quiet and well organised.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Went to buy milk, bread and fruit/veg (which for some reason seemed to be in good supply despite recent events).
                    Surplus from NI not getting it...

Comment

Working...
                    X