• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We Are Great Britain...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Are Great Britain...

..and we allow a company to starve our free-school meals children for large profit even though taxpayers compensate the company properly.

Free school meals firm with Tory links shamed over GBP30 shopping basket | Metro News
    The parents of children who qualify for free school meals have shared pictures of the small amount of food they’ve been given to last them 10 days.

Food parcels have been brought in to replace £30 vouchers given to parents to spend in supermarkets as schools close for remote learning.

But one mum valued the contents of her parcel at no more than £5.22, if bought from Asda.

She was given two jacket potatoes, a can of beans, eight single cheese slices, a loaf of bread, two carrots, three apples, two Soreen Malt Lunchbox Loaves, three Frubes, some pasta and one tomato. The mum wrote alongside the image: ‘Issued instead of £30 vouchers. I could do more with £30 to be honest.’

Free school meals firm offers very different food at private schools | Metro News

A catering firm accused of providing woefully inadequate free school meal parcels to impoverished families supplies canapés, pâtisserie treats and gingerbread villages to private schools.

Taxpayer funded packages supplied by Chartwells UK are supposed to be worth £30 and last 10 days, but frustrated parents have shared photos of meagre offerings worth closer to £5 if they had shopped at Asda.

The firm said it will investigate the images circulating social media, saying the amount of food in them did not ‘reflect the specification of one of our hampers’.

But its sister company, Chartwells Independent, offers luxurious gourmet food for private schools, including a selection of canapés for Norwich School, coconut, lemongrass and banana leaf wrapped salmon for New Hall school and bouiliabasse at Chigwell School. While these meals will be covered by the fees paid by parents, Cosmopolitan UK journalist Kate Pasola tweeted that ‘Chartwells UK belongs to a parent group which can choose where it profits’. Chartwells is part of the food service giant Compass Group. The group’s chairman, Paul Walsh, was a former member of David Cameron’s business advisory group.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Google "crony capitalism".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well we probably said make up a food parcel and then gave it to the lowest bidder.

Of course we should have set the specs and did some qa.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Google "crony capitalism".
        No need, it's present everywhere and they're not even attempting to hide in plain sight with all the covid related contracts awarded to people associated with government, their families, or tory party donors.

The only ones bleating about it are mugs on the internet, and that will be outlawed soon enough along with anything else going against the narrative.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

MrsBP greatly upped her food bank donations over last year.

She was VERY upset when she added a donation last week. The only contribution since the previous day was a pack of jaffa cakes.

Marcus Rashford for PM!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            MrsBP greatly upped her food bank donations over last year.

She was VERY upset when she added a donation last week. The only contribution since the previous day was a pack of jaffa cakes.
            Lots of people now have donation boxes for the local food bank on their doorstep/drive so she may have competition.

I suspect the last household I left stuff on their doorstep was surprised as there as another 2 boxes within walking distance.

Marcus Rashford for PM!
            Can anyone be as poor as Boris?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Lots of people now have donation boxes for the local food bank on their doorstep/drive so she may have competition.

I suspect the last household I left stuff on their doorstep was surprised as there as another 2 boxes within walking distance.

Can anyone be as poor as Boris?
              In parliament I can only see worse.

Comment

In parliament I can only see worse.
                True....

Comment

Our local primary did this in lockdown 1. Lots of schools outsource meals, all the money they get for pupils eligible for free meals goes to the caterer and the caterer provides food.

Providing packed meals has lead to easy opportunities to make a quick buck whether by the school or the caterer. In some cases early on, probably due to logistical challenges - remember shielding people being sent the most random boxes of food?

At this point in time it's hard to see it as anything but opportunism.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have relatively recently contracted for Compass group, the most backward, greedy and idiotic client ever. I did not renew when my contract was up for it. (It helped I had another lined up)

Comment

Working...
                    X