• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Critical Worker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    The rules are:

- everyone who can work from home must do so
    - if you cannot work from home, plan your journey to avoid crowds

I suspect that a very good percentage of people on here have jobs where you can work from home but how many actually are?
    They also said people vulnerable people who cannot work from home shouldn't work at all.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
      Who has sent little Dilbert/Doris in to school and carried on billing much to the annoyance of other parents?
      I think babies only started to be called "Dibert" and "Dorothy" last year so they won't be school age yet.

I think you mean Oliver/Amelia.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We have one at home and one at school. BS03 is old enough to crack on with it BS04 is young enough to need semi-supervision.

Im at the oh poo we have 9 months work to do in 2 months but can WFH but for a critical public sector project and BS02 is senior manager in the civil service doing 50 hours + and having to coax the jobsworths out of their houses to go into the office to do critical work. So thank crunchie the schools are open for us.
        Last edited by BlueSharp; 12 January 2021, 15:51.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Yep. Mrs works part-time (shes a nurse) so in the little monster goes. She loves it anyway.
          The school did try to take the piss in the summer saying it had to be both parents (It has always been ONE parent).

One of daughters friend mums is a nurse too - works just night shifts. Dad is a self employed builder. Mum was working all night then looking after the 7 year old in the day. School tried to say no not eligible because you're not actually working during the day anyway.
          Imagine things would be different if you had a nurse who'd had maybe 2 hours sleep looking after one of your relatives....

In all honesty, I take her back and fore to school and have her from 3pm but theres no way you can look after a 7 year old AND do a proper job if you've got them all day.

I'll stop doing this when the lazy arse teachers stop moaning about having to do 1/2 day per week for the childcare school. At least the home working is better now. Before the summer hols, daughter had one A4 sheet of work TOTAL. Yet you still had teachers saying they were working 12 hour days. (I've got two mates who are teachers who are honest and say its the best skive they've ever had and they know theres no chance they'll be furloughed or made redundant because the unions will kick off).
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Mrs V has been minding plenty of Key workers kids (food supply/Healthcare/Teachers) throughout.

The school was being snotty if only one Parent was a key worker and expected the other much higher earning parent to stop work so the key worker can go in, not sure how you are meant to live on a care workers wage in the south east.

The schooling was not much more than baby sitting last time, not heard this time.

We are getting about < 1 hour of work a day for reception and Ks1.
            School was snotty with me too until I escalated things then they dropped it rapidly...
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I think babies only started to be called "Dibert" and "Dorothy" last year so they won't be school age yet.

I think you mean Muhammad/Olivia
              FTFY.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                FTFY.
                You fixed absolutely nothing for me as I looked the names up in a baby name list. I don't know why you have to make racist digs all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You fixed absolutely nothing for me as I looked the names up in a baby name list. I don't know why you have to make racist digs all the time.
                  Maybe he's a "I'm not a racist but..." type of person, who knows...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    In theory, yes, but there have been cases where employers have refused. I can't remember specific examples off the top of my head so can't say what reason/excuse was given.
                    The TUC did a survey about furlough being available for child care. It seems both men and women have been refused furlough on these grounds (but men were overwhelmingly a minority respondant but the stats they did get doesn't make it look too heavily gendered)

Furlough refused to 71% of UK working mothers while schools shut - survey | UK news | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      The TUC did a survey about furlough being available for child care. It seems both men and women have been refused furlough on these grounds (but men were overwhelmingly a minority respondant but the stats they did get doesn't make it look too heavily gendered)

Furlough refused to 71% of UK working mothers while schools shut - survey | UK news | The Guardian
                      Normally in couples with children the lower-paid worker would asked to be furloughed. In the majority of cases it would still be women. Though I'm an anomaly and know plenty of couples were women who are the higher paid earner.

Comment

Working...
                      X