• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Priti Oops..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I think they initialli got Diane Abbott to count the missing records. Seems to be 400,000+ ....
    They can only guess as there is no way to know how much stuff has been deleted if there's not trace of it, otherwise it wouldn't be deleted.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

there is no way to know how much stuff has been deleted
      Is that true? Need a database expert to comment.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Is that true? Need a database expert to comment.
        They outsourced it to Fujitsu who likely made a right dogs dinner of it, making the recovery process somewhat harder than an undelete action such as rolling back the transaction log when the fat fingered script runner deleted the wrong stuff.

That's assuming they are using a proper database and not some NoSQL bullshine.

If they really want the data to stick around then use something immutable like a blockchain.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          They outsourced it to Fujitsu who likely made a right dogs dinner of it, making the recovery process somewhat harder than an undelete action such as rolling back the transaction log when the fat fingered script runner deleted the wrong stuff.

If they really want the data to stick around then use something immutable like a blockchain.
          Never delete is the way to go, write everything to a time series database before purging old stuff from the DBMS then have that replicated across at least three servers in different data centres run by different organisations. Can't be too careful these days If the numpty IT team doesn't do for the data then Amazon will close your AWS account cos it doesn't like you

Comment

The Fujitsu system is running on Adabas. It doesn't have the required purge functionality. That was produced inhouse. Records must be removed and not accessible to the police or other services.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              The Fujitsu system is running on Adabas. It doesn't have the required purge functionality. That was produced inhouse. Records must be removed and not accessible to the police or other services.
              Adabas? Not a variant mutation acronym of Acab?

Re Fujitsu. My view of them may be skewed by how a public sector client I was contracting at used them to outsource a CRM 'solve all our problems' solution () that quickly became very expensive and undeliverable resulting in der management outsourcing the whole IT dept. I'm sure it turned out all right in the end.

Comment

They hosted it with the Post office system!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  They hosted it with the Post office system!
                  But chose 2nd class delivery and it was so late it was returned to sender, and the data was gone. True story.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    What would you have said if it had been a Labour government in power and this had happened?
                    Public sector has always been crap. When I was in a company that did contracts for them back in the 80s, they always added a significant percentage to the estimated cost on the grounds that there would be various cockups requiring significant changes. Recall them complaining that a function was about 3 lines longer than their arbitrary limit, the fact that it performed the necessary task as succinctly as possible was irrelevant.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Public sector has always been crap. When I was in a company that did contracts for them back in the 80s, they always added a significant percentage to the estimated cost on the grounds that there would be various cockups requiring significant changes. Recall them complaining that a function was about 3 lines longer than their arbitrary limit, the fact that it performed the necessary task as succinctly as possible was irrelevant.
                      A Trumpian answer if ever...You could get a job as his spokesman with that non-answer
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X