• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Australian Open

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Australian Open

Murray was out before he even got near an airport as he tested positive to Covid a week or so back.

Heather Watson is now having to isolate with 47 others as some people on her plane out tested positive.

(Added to that people in Australia don't want the Open to go ahead.)

Heather Watson among 47 players forced to quarantine ahead of Australian Open | BT Sport

Forty-seven players competing in the Australian Open, including Britain’s Heather Watson, will be forced to remain in their hotel rooms for 14 days following three positive Covid-19 tests.

Two people on a chartered flight from Los Angeles carrying 24 players returned positive swabs upon their arrival in Melbourne.

On a later flight from Abu Dhabi, a sole passenger on a plane carrying 23 players also returned a positive result.

Victoria’s Department of Health and Human Services said that the infected trio were not players.

The world’s top players began arriving in the country on a series of charter jets on Thursday ahead of a two-week quarantine period, during which they will be allowed out of their rooms to practice for five hours a day.

But those players and support staff on the affected flights will now be confined to their rooms for a fortnight.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

It's a bit silly for anyone to even consider making it go ahead. I have no idea why 'elite' sports of any kind have an exemption.

Comment

I suspect "elite" sports will change when one of the sports people ends up on a ventilator.

There are already a few with Long Covid. If the Olympics goes ahead this year they won't be able to compete as they aren't well enough to train properly.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        It's a bit silly for anyone to even consider making it go ahead. I have no idea why 'elite' sports of any kind have an exemption.
        Big money

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Big money
          Sadly, I have to agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Sadly, I have to agree with you

Also “elite” sportspeople are ageing faster than a Gricer sockie
            Last edited by AtW; 16 January 2021, 17:32.

Comment

Elite sports have the money to run the kind of crazy over the top regime which can control transmission. Daily tests, whole tournaments within a bubble, etc.
              It has to be said though that tennis has not done very well but this is partly due to the nature of their season... Players attending different tournaments, large support teams, etc. Most players cannot use private planes.

Contrast to F1 which seems to have done a really good job as it's like a microcosm of the same people traveling together.

Back on topic, Murray's people are still suggesting he could go. But Australia are being very militant so I can't really see him getting an exception

mi fone did this on tappy tawk
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I suspect "elite" sports will change when one of the sports people ends up on a ventilator.

There are already a few with Long Covid. If the Olympics goes ahead this year they won't be able to compete as they aren't well enough to train properly.
                They can all sign up for the Paralympics.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  They can all sign up for the Paralympics.
                  I suspect they won't be super human though..

Comment

Can they cancel the women's tennis and give it to the girl with the biggest tits?

(Copyright monty python).

Comment

Working...
                    X