• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police National Computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Um, no. Only by people who don't know what they are doing.
    You think? Ask your DaaS provider to recover a file created a month ago...

Granted you no longer need to worry about hardware failure (as redundancy is built into the service you are buying) but you should be doing snapshots prior to major operations.
    Agreed, absolutely. And I've known a five nines datacentre go down completely twice now, taking the client a week to get back to the status quo ante; nothing is totally resilient.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm just hoping my speeding tickets are some of the stuff that cannot be recovered at all!!!!
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        You think? Ask your DaaS provider to recover a file created a month ago...
        I did - which is why the documentation now exists for taking a backup, storing it as an azure blob (outside of the standard daily backups) alongside instructions on how to reinstall it into a freshly created environment.

Backups can be automated in realtime, restore takes 20 minutes from pressing the button.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Did they need an archive or a backup...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Did they need an archive or a backup...
            PNC wants an archive. The one I worked with had got 3Tb of PNC number plates stored in the first year...

However, the problem with this incident, AIUI, is that they can put back the missing data but then have to repair and relink all the various datasets. And they may, of course, have also deleted the mapping data.

Almost as bad as having to copy a 50Tb SAN to a new datacentre that contained several hundred C: drives for the VPCs, among other things, but no record of where they were... And they had to be mapped because the transfer had to go through a third datacentre (don't ask.... just don't.)
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

50 TB - 4x20 TB disks in RAID5, around 2k (disks)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                50 TB - 4x20 TB disks in RAID5, around 2k (disks)

We are talking mainframe here. Its 50 drives at the cost of one flat above a kebab house each.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  We are talking mainframe here. Its 50 drives at the cost of one flat above a kebab house each.
                  Don’t use it then, this ain’t 70s now

Comment

Not true, mainframes now use the same DASD as little computers and even share the same enclosure but this problem has nothing to with that.
                    Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You don't know what you're talking about
                      Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Don’t use it then, this ain’t 70s now
                      Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X