• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police National Computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
    As usual.

Comment

You don't know what you're talking about
      I’ve got bigger home NAS than 50 TBs backup mentioned above

Comment

No he doesn't. Some of us play with major datacentres, rather than mickey mouse office systems

This was a black box array running as a dedicated, shadowed 100Tb SAN (plus off line storage and offline backup systems) in a DR Datacentre, using proprietary software and a range of drives covering high-speed, nearline and long-term storage, with data moving dynamically around the array as necessary. The data was moving via an intermediary storage platform to a new DR datacentre where there was a much newer and somewhat larger array that was nevertheless offering the same functionality. The 50Tb was just the hundreds of virtual PCs in use, there were other (and better documented) databases in there. Don't know about the old one but the new SAN cost around £10m plus maintenance and licensing.

It wouldn't have been so much of a problem if the client had maintained their data records properly, rather than leaving them at the initial configuration then adding and/or changing that configuration without noting what went where.

Took a very clever and very hard-working techie some 70 man hours to work out the mapping so we could start to move it and look for the rest as we went along
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Oh wow 100 TB “shadooooow” SAN

I deal with multi-petabyte sized databases (plural) for living - NOT mainframe based, obviously.

You kids stick to your mainframes, no wonder Govt IT projects fail all the time.
          Last edited by AtW; 17 January 2021, 17:14.

Comment

I do that as well using mainframes but Mission critical Systems, not mickey mouse Internet search engine data. We just use that type of data for testing
            Originally posted by AtW View Post

I deal with multi-petabyte sized databases (plural) for living - NOT mainframe based, obviously.

You kids stick to your mainframes, no wonder Govt IT projects fail all the time.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

and does your cat have big bolloks?

Comment

I do that as well using mainframes but Mission critical Systems, not mickey mouse Internet search engine data. We just use that type of data for testing
                Well I hope you do have backups

Comment

Not true, mainframes now use the same DASD as little computers and even share the same enclosure but this problem has nothing to with that.

It was an attempt at humour.

But are you saying buying a disk from the approved supplier like Fujitsu is anywhere the same cost as buying from Insight or similar? If you don't buy from the vendor how does that affect your maintenance?

The PNC mainframe is a modern one then?

Buying a server disk from the manufacturer was normally 2+ times the price of buying in channel.

My experience was with AIX & As400 boxes 10 - 20 years ago, it may have changed since then but I doubt it.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

GDPS/PPRC

Comment

Mainframes are only good for contractor rates

Comment

Working...
                      X