• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police National Computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AIX and AS/400 are not mainframes I'm afraid, in fact one is an operating system
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    It was an attempt at humour.

But are you saying buying a disk from the approved supplier like Fujitsu is anywhere the same cost as buying from Insight or similar? If you don't buy from the vendor how does that affect your maintenance?

The PNC mainframe is a modern one then?

Buying a server disk from the manufacturer was normally 2+ times the price of buying in channel.

My experience was with AIX & As400 boxes 10 - 20 years ago, it may have changed since then but I doubt it.
    Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Well yes, very true. That would work really well with a national police database covering everything from ANPR records to anti-terrorism intelligence.
      Govt is big enough of a client to have multiple fully owned secure data centers (not with ancient mainframes either) - it's not like digital storage is something that will disappear anytime soon.

Comment

I can still restore data from 10 years ago, you have to remember that these systems have been going for years so their procedures tend to have evolved over time and are pretty failsafe apart from 'between chair and keyboard problem' which seems to have happened here
        Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Well I hope you do have backups
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You still have no idea what you're talking about do you?
          Govt is big enough of a client to have multiple fully owned secure data centers (not with ancient mainframes either) - it's not like digital storage is something that will disappear anytime soon.

Comment

so who's cat's got the biggest bolloks?

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              You still have no idea what you're talking about do you?
              I have good idea how to solve complex large scale data problems without paying King's ransom for it.

Comment

AIX and AS/400 are not mainframes I'm afraid, in fact one is an operating system

Doh, I know that, however the gouging is apparently the same. As aTw says its peanuts for storage.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I can still restore data from 10 years ago, you have to remember that these systems have been going for years so their procedures tend to have evolved over time and are pretty failsafe apart from 'between chair and keyboard problem' which seems to have happened here

Only 10 years ago? We have 30 years ago.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

And how many people on here pay massive premium for vendors like IBM alikes if it was their own money vs viable much cheaper alternatives?

IBM alikes was ok in 70s, 80s maybe even 90s. but certainly not past 2010

Comment

What on earth is an IBM alike? Not only do you still don't know what you're talking about, you don't even know what you're writing
                      And how many people on here pay massive premium for vendors like IBM alikes if it was their own money vs viable much cheaper alternatives?

IBM alikes was ok in 70s, 80s maybe even 90s. but certainly not past 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X