• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police National Computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police National Computer

https://twitter.com/kitmalthouse/sta...336000/photo/1

Massive irretrievable data loss...

Malcolm Tucker has some words for this

WTF is the backup?

Who is this outsourced to ? Anyone know?

Why there is even a possibility to delete any records in such database?

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
      https://twitter.com/kitmalthouse/sta...336000/photo/1

Massive irretrievable data loss...

Malcolm Tucker has some words for this

WTF is the backup?

Who is this outsourced to ? Anyone know?
      They should have asked a data scientist like me. Clearly they have been mining the data lake. This was bound to happen when one of the mines exploded.

Since they followed the advice from the other thread, they only had one lake, there was no backup.

So, unfortunate, but they were following best practice according to CUK.

Comment

KUATB

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...riti-oops.html
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Why there is even a possibility to delete any records in such database?
          It's not a database, it's a federated group of databases spread over multiple server farms. All you have to do is delete one of the ones that holds the key information that links them together.

And looking at current cloud technology and operations, backup appears to be an outmoded concept.

It seems they are trying to recover it all. I suspect that means rebuilding the database that was "damaged" from other sources and then rebuilding the overall mapping.

That said, as an ex-service management guy, the whole thing is f***ing appallingly amateurish.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            It's not a database, it's a federated group of databases spread over multiple server farms. All you have to do is delete one of the ones that holds the key information that links them together.
            Not even Federales in Mexico (with double the population) got so much crime to require so much hardware

And looking at current cloud technology and operations, backup appears to be an outmoded concept.

Not to self: get LTO-9 when it's out...

Comment

Are there databases involved? ?

I was under the impression it was a spreadsheet in sharepoint that got deleted by accident.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Um, no. Only by people who don't know what they are doing.

Granted you no longer need to worry about hardware failure (as redundancy is built into the service you are buying) but you should be doing snapshots prior to major operations.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It seems they are trying to recover it all. I suspect that means rebuilding the database that was "damaged" from other sources and then rebuilding the overall mapping.

That said, as an ex-service management guy, the whole thing is f***ing appallingly amateurish.

Sounds like a microservices type of issue where they are linking different datasets for things like DNA and fingerprints and a cascade delete went through them all.

It would seem that in lieu of a transaction log to roll back they would have queues between the datasets to provide loose coupling and resilience that could allow similar undo capability by rolling back the queue actions. Presuming audit requirements are in place to keep a log of all actions especially updates and deletes so there is always a trail, and worse case they manually re-enter the trail of deletions.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Don't tell me, let me guess - It's all in Excel spreadsheets, right? These amateurs seem to have a thing about Excel

I assumed it was an "accidental on purpose" deletion, e.g. to lose evidence that might have lead to more convictions and increased the prison population, or to reduce the number of sex trafficking and grooming convictions among the vibrant community. But if they are genuinely scrabbling around trying to recover the data then maybe it was an actual mistake.
                    Last edited by OwlHoot; 17 January 2021, 17:55.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X