• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sad and Angry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad and Angry

Manchester bombing: Youngest victim '''could have survived with better first aid''' - BBC News

The youngest victim of the Manchester Arena attack might have survived if she had received better first aid, a report commissioned by her family suggests.

Eight-year-old Saffie-Rose Roussos died as a result of losing too much blood from injuries to her legs.

It has emerged that no one used simple tourniquets or splints to apply pressure and reduce the bleeding.
    I am not first aid trained but I have assisted at traffic accidents where other just stand around and watch. Somebody could have done the obvious.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

While its horrible - and awful for her family - the staff were under enormous pressure. Explanation not an excuse.

If we make a mistake, someone looses money.If a medic makes a mistake, someone could die. I suppose it makes me feel incredibly lucky that I don't work in that area.

Comment

The blame-to party here is the ****er who blew himself up and those who encouraged him. She should never have been in a position where first aid was needed in the first place.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        The blame-to party here is the ****er who blew himself up and those who encouraged him. She should never have been in a position where first aid was needed in the first place.
        The problem here is people who believe in "God". There seems to be way too many people about who thinks this "God" person supports whatever brainfart they have.

<Modsnip>
        Last edited by NotAllThere; 18 January 2021, 11:00. Reason: Advocating genocide

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Yeah i agree but they do need to still review to see where they can improve training/procedures.

Comment

It does look like there were failings wrt the paramedics and hospital.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I am not first aid trained but I have assisted at traffic accidents where other just stand around and watch. Somebody could have done the obvious.
              A drunk/drugged up lady hit my wall on the 2nd of Dec at high speed killing her passenger on the 2nd Dec and being 1am I was the only one up and first to the scene. Very gnarly indeed. I'd checked and covered the body and was wrestling the driver by the time other people came out and they all just watched me. I spent a lot of time thinking why I was the only one doing anything and I came to the conclusion you can't blame people. Even with basic first aid training there is some basic level of fight or flight that your average Joe just doesn't have and you could only get over with that with tons of training and experience.

I'm sure those people don't feel good about about not being able to help but they just can't. I don't think you can really hold average people to account for not dealing with badly injured people in the heat of the moment. It's sad but I think it is what it is.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How sad but as NAT & Brillo point out the root cause is still a nutter with a bomb.

But as others pointed out it does seem it was not just the general public that didn't provide first aid (which is hardly surprising as few have the expertise, experience or presence of mind) the emergency services and hospital fell below expected standards.

Having helped with various disaster training exercises and first aid competitions 35+ years ago as one of the persons simulating the wounds or playing a casualty there are basic methods that all first aiders are taught regardless of organisation Be it Red cross, St John or paramedics.

How to do the primary survey and DR ABC - First Aid Advice | St John Ambulance.

• If they are bleeding severely you will need to control and treat the bleeding by applying direct pressure to the wound. Call 999/112 for emergency help.
                The text may have changed but it is the same basic advice from 40 years ago when I was taught it. A primary survey is normally done in seconds.

These should be second nature and performed by anyone responding , they apparently weren't even by the trained professionals and this poor child died.

Eight-year-old Saffie-Rose Roussos died as a result of losing too much blood from injuries to her legs.It has emerged that no-one used simple tourniquets or splints to apply pressure and reduce the bleeding.

Previously, experts commissioned by the Manchester Arena Inquiry found that Saffie's injuries were not survivable.
                The report has found that the ambulance crew did not use tourniquets or splints on Saffie's injuries, and neither did the medical team at hospital, when Saffie arrived at A&E.
                It also says that it is unclear why the trauma team at the hospital didn't begin a surgical procedure called a "thoracotomy" to stop the bleeding.

We need to make sure it doesn't happen again. In fact it seems the attempt at a cover up has been overturned by the parents pushing for answers.

Saying that I doubt I would be able to hold my head in the midst of such a disaster but if I were employed to then maybe I should!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X