• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Up to 2m Hongkongers could move to UK under new visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    The Hong Kong migrants fleeing to start new lives in the UK - BBC News

BBC reporting that around 300k might come in the next 5 years..

So based on their figures on the EU accession countries lets call it 30 million.

Our beloved government as usual will not build any more houses, fail to filter out the criminals and drive integration so it is unlikely it will be a success.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      So based on their figures on the EU accession countries lets call it 30 million.

Our beloved government as usual will not build any more houses, fail to filter out the criminals and drive integration so it is unlikely it will be a success.
      To be fair V. there's never really been a problem with Chinese integration, tend to be hard working and industrious.
      Also I'm sure I read that they would have no recourse to benefits for 5 years, so just the wealthy and talented, basically cherry picking. 300K of them would be a positive boost to the economy.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

London underestimated takeup for HK visa offer - Taipei Times

Hong Kong migrants to UK will need support, ministers told - BBC News
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I have no problem with more HKers coming over, we might even get some decent Chinese restaurants again, anyone else noticed their decline? Yes 'some' may need support if they can't find work straight away, but given that the majority are tech savvy I don't see that being a long term problem.
          Last edited by Gibbon; 19 January 2021, 13:48. Reason: tulip spelling
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            The Hong Kong migrants fleeing to start new lives in the UK - BBC News

BBC reporting that around 300k might come in the next 5 years..
            But HKB says its own research suggests more than 500,000 eligible people could apply for the visa during 2021, with at least 330,000 people and their dependants moving to the UK in the first year.
            It really rather depends on the number of dependants to accompany; which courtesy of the Human Rights Act would also include Grandparents & possibly Uncles & Aunts.
            So, the true figure will be much higher which has an immediate impact on Housing, Education, Health Care & Security without any balancing payments from tax to offset

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
              It really rather depends on the number of dependants to accompany; which courtesy of the Human Rights Act would also include Grandparents & possibly Uncles & Aunts.
              So, the true figure will be much higher which has an immediate impact on Housing, Education, Health Care & Security without any balancing payments from tax to offset
              Which means house prices are going to zoom into stratosphere which is good news to every poster here on CUK.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                To be fair V. there's never really been a problem with Chinese integration.
                So do the HK follow Chinese traits listed below?

Spitting: in the street, shops, supermarkets, hotel lobbies, hallways, restaurants, on buses and even in hospitals. Traditional Chinese medical thought believes it is unhealthy to swallow phlegm. Spitting has declined considerably in more developed urban areas like Beijing and Shanghai since the SARS epidemic of 2002. However, in most other areas the habit persists to varying degrees, from moderate to ever-present.

Smoking: almost anywhere, including areas with "no smoking signs". Few restaurants have no smoking areas although Beijing now forbids smoking in most restaurants; Enforcement can vary but with the exception of Hong Kong, it most likely will not be. Lower class establishments often do not evenhave ashtrays. Western restaurants seem to be the only ones who actually enforce the ban so they are your best bet. Masks would be good idea for long distance bus trips. It is perfectly common for someone to smoke in a lift without asking if they can or even in the hospital!

Loud conversations, noise, discussions or public arguments: These are very common. Many mainland Chinese speak very loudly in public (including in the early mornings) and it may be one of the first things you notice upon arrival. Loud speech usually does not mean that the speaker is angry or engaged in an argument (although obviously it can). Full-blown fights involving physical violence are not very common, but they do occur. If you witness such an event, leave the vicinity and do not get involved. Foreigners are almost never targets in China and you will be treated with great respect provided you don't act recklessly. Noise means life, and China is rooted in a community based culture, so you may want to bring earplugs for the long bus or train ride!

Pushing, shoving and/or jumping queues: This often occurs anywhere where there are queues, (or lack thereof) particularly at train stations. Again, often there simply are no queues at all. Therefore, queue jumping is a major problem in China. Best bet is to pick a line that looks like its moving or just wait for everyone to get on or off the bus or train first but you may be left behind! Keep in mind that the concept of personal space more or less does not exist in China. It is perfectly common and acceptable behavior for someone to come in very close contact with you or to bump into you and say nothing. Don't get mad as they will be surprised and most likely won't even understand why you are offended!

General disregard of city, provincial and/or national rules, regulations and laws. This includes (among many other things) dangerous and negligent driving, (see Driving in China) that includes excessive speeding, not using head lights at night, lack of use of turn signals, and driving on the wrong side of the street, jaywalking, and smoking in non-smoking areas or defiance of smoking bans including hospitals, inside health clubs and even on football pitches!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  To be fair V. there's never really been a problem with Chinese integration, tend to be hard working and industrious.
                  Also I'm sure I read that they would have no recourse to benefits for 5 years, so just the wealthy and talented, basically cherry picking. 300K of them would be a positive boost to the economy.

There is currently no real issue with integration but if an unfiltered large number turn up in a short period ghettos tend to form and their different behaviour may cause issues. This tends to be true for most quick mass migrations.

With the 'informal economy' estimated at 3-20% of GDP why do you assume recourse to benefits is an issue for migration?

https://blogs.imf.org/2019/10/30/the...n-the-decline/

I agree picking the best and providing homes and jobs for them would probably be a massive benefit to the UK! However sadly experience shows the UK government of all types couldn't manage this even if beaten with a clue stick the size of HMT Empire Windrush.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
                    So do the HK follow Chinese traits listed below?
                    Given most of the Chinese immigrants to the UK are from HK, then probably not. However they do have a liberal attitude to paying taxes and invoices and using unusual forms of animal protein (personal experience). The betting firms would also gain significantly. Yes I am generalising, but I genuinely see no problem with allowing them to escape from Chinese thuggery, infact as we set the colony up we have a moral duty, just like the African Asians.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

With the 'informal economy' estimated at 3-20% of GDP why do you assume recourse to benefits is an issue for migration?
                      I personally don't as I don't think generally they are the types to sit on their arse and claim, but some would cite this as a reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X