• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Up to 2m Hongkongers could move to UK under new visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
    So do the HK follow Chinese traits listed below?

My experience of HK Airport 20 years ago was that it was spotless and very organised compared to most international airports, the staff were polite and spoke reasonable English. Smoking was forbidden except in an outside area miles away and policed by gentlemen with sub machine guns.

Remember China is huge and Hong Kong was run by the British for 200 years so its like comparing Texas with Vancouver.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

I have daily meetings with teams in Hong Kong

Every single person would rather eat there own testicles than move here, one guy said guantanamo bay is above UK on his list

Reasons

Seen as racist
      Housing
      Food
      Weather
      Family
      Drugs
      Low education standards
      Laughable NHS

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Phew, that's reassuring!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
        I have no problem with more HKers coming over, we might even get some decent Chinese restaurants again, anyone else noticed their decline? Yes 'some' may need support if they can't find work straight away, but given that the majority are tech savvy I don't see that being a long term problem.
        Won't they be taking all those jobs then so that contractors on here moan about the state of the market and not being able to get a contract?
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Won't they be taking all those jobs then so that contractors on here moan about the state of the market and not being able to get a contract?
          You're not really been serious are you.

There is not a finite number of jobs just as there isn't a finite amount of money. Wealth is created (sometimes stolen, but has to be created in the first place). These are the type of people who create wealth - ergo jobs!
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

You're not really been serious are you.

There is not a finite number of jobs just as there isn't a finite amount of money. Wealth is created (sometimes stolen, but has to be created in the first place). These are the type of people who create wealth - ergo jobs!
            How do they create wealth in order for those jobs to be created?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

FFS go and read Adam Smith. What do you want an 30,000 word thesis? Innovation creating demand, do you think Jeffrey Preston Bezos looked at a computer in the 90's and thought, that's useless for making money?
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Bet you think that all those yachts in Monaco are an obscene outcome of unbridled capitalism, without getting the subtlety of all those jobs that depend on it. Even the early Church realised this when the very rich started giving their money away, that unless you invested and created wealth it would eventually be all gone on the idle poor. They persuaded people not to sell their estates, but to keep producing (including keeping slaves) and just give a portion.

Comment

Bet you think that all those yachts in Monaco are an obscene outcome of unbridled capitalism, without getting the subtlety of all those jobs that depend on it. Even the early Church realised this when the very rich started giving their money away, that unless you invested and created wealth it would eventually be all gone on the idle poor. They persuaded people not to sell their estates, but to keep producing (including keeping slaves) and just give a portion.
                  The point is fair, well managed capitalism is the way out of poverty for many but the top 1% do seem to upset those who cant reach that tier.

Interestingly (I hadn't really thought about this timeline until you mentioned it). Slavery (invented 10,000 years ago) came before actual currency (5,000 years ago) in Mesopotamia both long before either the old Testament (3000 years ago) or new testament (2000 years ago).

The History of the Man-Made Invention of Money

The Mesopotamian shekel – the first known form of currency – emerged nearly 5,000 years ago.
                  Note this is Money not Barter which probably happened on the 8th day!

A Brief History Of Slavery | New Internationalist

Western slavery goes back 10,000 years to Mesopotamia, today’s Iraq, where a male slave was worth an orchard of date palms.
                  The church which appeared later did of course understand administering charity & faith could be profitable. Whether they believed the recipients of charity were unworthy considering how close most of them would have been to desperation. Earlier religions may well have exchanged religious favours for goods or advantage.

To be fair religions frequently wanted to abolish slavery so that is a positive.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Do you have a yacht in Monaco?
                    Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon

Comment

So 600,000 Chinese are all going to come to the UK and create multinational hitech enterprises?
                      FFS go and read Adam Smith. What do you want an 30,000 word thesis? Innovation creating demand, do you think Jeffrey Preston Bezos looked at a computer in the 90's and thought, that's useless for making money?
                      Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon

Comment

Working...
                      X