• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Up to 2m Hongkongers could move to UK under new visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Up to 2 million might be eligible to gain the visa and come here but only a tiny fraction will undertake that perilous journey. Hongkong is millions times better than UK, why would they come here, for damp cold miserable days?
    I agree, flying into Heathrow and getting onto the Piccadilly Line can be a biatch .... poor, poor, people
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Insane. The last thing overcrowded Britain needs is another 2m people.
      A nice prop for the housing market though Win-win
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post

So do the HK follow Chinese traits listed below?

Spitting: in the street, shops, supermarkets, hotel lobbies, hallways, restaurants, on buses and even in hospitals. Traditional Chinese medical thought believes it is unhealthy to swallow phlegm. Spitting has declined considerably in more developed urban areas like Beijing and Shanghai since the SARS epidemic of 2002. However, in most other areas the habit persists to varying degrees, from moderate to ever-present.

Smoking: almost anywhere, including areas with "no smoking signs". Few restaurants have no smoking areas although Beijing now forbids smoking in most restaurants; Enforcement can vary but with the exception of Hong Kong, it most likely will not be. Lower class establishments often do not evenhave ashtrays. Western restaurants seem to be the only ones who actually enforce the ban so they are your best bet. Masks would be good idea for long distance bus trips. It is perfectly common for someone to smoke in a lift without asking if they can or even in the hospital!

Loud conversations, noise, discussions or public arguments: These are very common. Many mainland Chinese speak very loudly in public (including in the early mornings) and it may be one of the first things you notice upon arrival. Loud speech usually does not mean that the speaker is angry or engaged in an argument (although obviously it can). Full-blown fights involving physical violence are not very common, but they do occur. If you witness such an event, leave the vicinity and do not get involved. Foreigners are almost never targets in China and you will be treated with great respect provided you don't act recklessly. Noise means life, and China is rooted in a community based culture, so you may want to bring earplugs for the long bus or train ride!

Pushing, shoving and/or jumping queues: This often occurs anywhere where there are queues, (or lack thereof) particularly at train stations. Again, often there simply are no queues at all. Therefore, queue jumping is a major problem in China. Best bet is to pick a line that looks like its moving or just wait for everyone to get on or off the bus or train first but you may be left behind! Keep in mind that the concept of personal space more or less does not exist in China. It is perfectly common and acceptable behavior for someone to come in very close contact with you or to bump into you and say nothing. Don't get mad as they will be surprised and most likely won't even understand why you are offended!

General disregard of city, provincial and/or national rules, regulations and laws. This includes (among many other things) dangerous and negligent driving, (see Driving in China) that includes excessive speeding, not using head lights at night, lack of use of turn signals, and driving on the wrong side of the street, jaywalking, and smoking in non-smoking areas or defiance of smoking bans including hospitals, inside health clubs and even on football pitches!
        Ha yes bad driving and disregard of jumping queues is definitely a thing - if you have been there you know.
        But generally so hard working and well educated in HK.

Comment

Up to 2m Hongkongers could move to UK under new visa

Asked the chaps from Hong Kong again on today’s Standup

One chap would rather do 3 years hard labour in Chinese labour camp (as better health care) than move to Uk and suffer NHS miserly

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Reminds me of Blair's views on migration from Eastern Europe in 2004. Actual numbers were a mere 20 times greater.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X