• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deaths from Covid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Problem is neither Matt, Boris et al can answer a "Yes" or "No" question.
    I've heard Matt answer at least one press question at the briefing "No. Next we have..."
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
      Hate to say it, but look at Japan. More populated, bigger average age, bigger air travel hub in Tokyo than London , similar lockdown style, but simply implemented decisively, quickly and authoritatively.
      You're not following the cluster**** that is the Olympics then? Japan is a VERY different place to the UK anyway. I don't think a direct comparison makes much sense.

You'd be better comparing UK and Germany. They initially did very very well, but then even they succumbed to complacency and 2nd waves.

Comment

From what I've seen in recent times the Olympics have been a massive problem to every country its been to in recent memory. Far to expensive and never leaves the sporting legacy its supposed to. Appears to be more of a curse than a blessing. Cancelling it might might be a bonus for them.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Should just switch the Olympics online and all countries compete at Daley Thompson's Decathlon

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Should just switch the Olympics online and all countries compete at Daley Thompson's Decathlon
            The eco leftists will be upset. The millions of ruined keyboards from rolling a golf ball over the run keys will be the next ecological disaster.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              From what I've seen in recent times the Olympics have been a massive problem to every country its been to in recent memory. Far to expensive and never leaves the sporting legacy its supposed to. Appears to be more of a curse than a blessing. Cancelling it might might be a bonus for them.

Dorney lake is lovely and the Olympic park gives Boris somewhere to get in trouble.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's a bit too late to be cancelling the Olympics seeing as they've already spent the money to host it last year. So they are wanting it to go ahead to recoup some of the cost from whatever income is generated when the event takes place.

I'd me more worried about the state of the athletes. Will they able to get up to peak competitive fitness in time, with all the disruption and lack of preparation events? Will those chosen for last year still be the best choice or should they have some form of re-selection if any are now injured or with long covid?

Tokyo 2020 uncertainty 'exhausting', says Olympic sailing champion Hannah Mills
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

It'll probably be all topsy turvy but ultimately it's entertainment. If it's safe to go, no athlete is going to turn down the olympics apart from veterans who have been to several, possibly.

It's tough for the vast majority of athletes who are not very wealthy but even so, there are a lot of people a lot more in need of sympathy and support.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I've heard Matt answer at least one press question at the briefing "No. Next we have..."
                    But that was in response to "Can you answer a "Yes" or "No" question?"

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      You're not following the cluster**** that is the Olympics then? Japan is a VERY different place to the UK anyway. I don't think a direct comparison makes much sense.

You'd be better comparing UK and Germany. They initially did very very well, but then even they succumbed to complacency and 2nd waves.
                      I've a differing point of view here really.

Firstly, the whole "second wave" thing , isn't really, its a resurgence - second wave is a political term for it imo - to defy the fact that we never truly contained it. Also I don't think they were complacent, but its harder to measure in Germany because powers were given to all the local zones / authorities, rather than centralised - which is what we tried really badly to copy with Tiers and lasted about 1 week.

Germany, whilst having a resurgence have approximately HALF the mortality rate, because they have working test and trace and that system also prioritises the at risk, on a centralised register (or so I am told). They implemented the same "app" and standard protocol that is out there and adopted by the majority of countries, following the HK/SK/WHO test trace isolate methodology. (The app is even open source, I believe!)

Comment

Working...
                      X