• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you put Bitcoin in an ISA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bitcoin fell over 20% in the past 6 days from a high of $40k to under $32k.

For something with a market cap of over $0.5T, it's ridiculously volatile.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      Bitcoin fell over 20% in the past 6 days from a high of $40k to under $32k.

For something with a market cap of over $0.5T, it's ridiculously volatile.
      That's why I'd only put a relatively tiny amount in and probably forget about it for a while.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I don't get the first part. If you'd put a grand in BC a decade back wouldn't that be a gigantic tax bill?
        not if you don't declare it. How they gonna know you've got it?

And if you want to cash out enough such that a large tax bill might be a problem then you exit BTC to an offshore bank.
        The biggest issue with offshore banking these days is getting the money in and out. Crytpo coins provide a route for that.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You can buy shares in Argo blockchain which is a Bitcoin miner, via shares ISA. Shares were 5p last year and this month shot up to 100p.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            not if you don't declare it. How they gonna know you've got it?
            Anyone filing an SATR is liable to audit, and I assume anyone running a Ltd is liable to have their personal accounts inspected for a business audit?

"Why is this money in your account" seems a reasonable query to me.

Also, I have no interest in fraud even if it's easy. Maybe especially when it's easy

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              You can buy shares in Argo blockchain which is a Bitcoin miner, via shares ISA. Shares were 5p last year and this month shot up to 100p.
              I was wondering about that sort of thing, although presumably the shares are not directly linked to the BC they own/create.

Comment

"Why is this money in your account" seems a reasonable query to me.
                If you have sufficient BTC such that you are committing tax evasion DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR OWN ACCOUNT

like I said. The platform is a dream for money laundering. So why go and ruin that.
                If you have less than £10k to realise then that's under the CGT limit so fine crack on.
                Or take £10k a year.
                Or put it somewhere invisible.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yeah if you only put a grand in something ultra speculative, you have to do REALLY well to have CGT problems

Comment

Yeah if you only put a grand in something ultra speculative, you have to do REALLY well to have CGT problems
                    exactly my point.
                    So why do you need an ISA? ISAs are for safe long term savings not speculative gambling on a bubble.

I did OK. I put £600 in in 2013 and cashed out £10k when it got to around $16k per BTC.
                    Yes I wish I'd hodled. But hindsight is always a good gambler.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Used to be able to but not any longer....

I bought a load of bitcoin and eth pension funds and also opened an ISA.
                      Did very very well out of them. Made about £20K pensions funds and about £1k on the ISA.

Can keep it but can't buy any more with H-L.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X