• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How could the recent increase in homeworking affect the economy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home building associations I am sure don't love it either. How would you have prime locations if the high earners can live wherever they want?

One way or another we will be back at the previous reality either through a deep crisis or gentle nodding from managers...

This world is a lot more than about doing a good job and working collaboratively and not telling Jane in HR she is fat... and who thinks differently it is a bit naive tbh

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      Home building associations I am sure don't love it either. How would you have prime locations if the high earners can live wherever they want?

One way or another we will be back at the previous reality either through a deep crisis or gentle nodding from managers...

This world is a lot more than about doing a good job and working collaboratively and not telling Jane in HR she is fat... and who thinks differently it is a bit naive tbh
      Those English lessons Still not working then?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        Those English lessons Still not working then?
        Pedant mode on
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Pedant mode on
          Well, if he's going to post incessant drivel, he could at least do it in English.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Heating the house all day is gonna eat a bit of that up no?
            I'm dreading the heating bill - it's been on since September.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
              I doubt we'll go all the way back, at least for jobs that can effectively WFH. It's been moving this way for years, anyway; pretty common to see 1-2 days p/w WFH offered in recent (pre Covid) times, and now that productivity has been proven and systems have been forced into place where they might not have been before, I'd be very surprised if WFH wasn't an option for our sort of jobs, at least for some of the time. It'll make a big difference as well, even if its just, say, 3 days WFH per week. As someone who now lives a good 2 hours commute from the big smoke, I can tell you from experience that 2-3 days a week commuting is a whole different ballgame to 5. As in, doable vs not, at least for me.

Comment

It will obviously also release a lot of office space for residential dwellings, and give work to builders doing the conversions.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's a controversial perspective I know, but I suspect the worst depression in 3 centuries might make it pretty irrelevant.
                  I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                    I doubt we'll go all the way back, at least for jobs that can effectively WFH. It's been moving this way for years, anyway; pretty common to see 1-2 days p/w WFH offered in recent (pre Covid) times, and now that productivity has been proven and systems have been forced into place where they might not have been before, I'd be very surprised if WFH wasn't an option for our sort of jobs, at least for some of the time. It'll make a big difference as well, even if its just, say, 3 days WFH per week. As someone who now lives a good 2 hours commute from the big smoke, I can tell you from experience that 2-3 days a week commuting is a whole different ballgame to 5. As in, doable vs not, at least for me.

Companies are already talking about closing offices and consolidating with fewer staff in day by day. It may finally allow us to move most of our jobs from around London. Whether this will cause the jobs to move abroad I am not sure.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Companies are already talking about closing offices and consolidating with fewer staff in day by day. It may finally allow us to move most of our jobs from around London. Whether this will cause the jobs to move abroad I am not sure.
                      I think the general mood is that people quite like WFH, or at least like the option of WFH. If (big if) things ever get back to where potential employees are holding the cards (i.e. a buoyant jobs market), then companies that offer the option of WFH are going to be better placed than those who don't. Since it doesn't seem to negatively affect productivity, and actually costs the company less as well, I'd be very surprised if it isn't offered by just about every employer when feasible. Then again, perhaps it just makes too much sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X