• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European countries mandate medical-grade masks over homemade cloth face coverings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European countries mandate medical-grade masks over homemade cloth face coverings

" (CNN)Confronting new, more transmissible variants of the coronavirus and a winter spike in infections, a number of European countries are beginning to make medical-grade face masks mandatory in the hope that they can slow the spread of the disease.

The French government has now mandated that citizens wear single-use surgical FFP1 masks, more protective FFP2 filtering facepiece respirators or fabric masks which meet the same "Category 1" specifications -- blocking more than 90% of particles -- in all public places. In layman's terms, homemade masks will no longer cut it.

It follows a decision by the German government on Tuesday requiring all people to wear either FFP1 or FFP2 masks while on public transport, in workplaces and in shops. The move came after the German state of Bavaria introduced an even more stringent measure: Enforcing surgical grade N95 respirators, which filter 95% of air particles, in stores and on public transport. "

European countries mandate medical-grade masks over cloth face coverings - CNN

That's well overdude - summer should have been used to prep for that with supplies for everybody who needs to get out.

Fat chance of this happening in the UK because for Tory mates profit margins on ripping off the taxpayer on those masks won't be as high as low grade tulip.

24 hours was a blessed release!

Comment

I use a visor rather than a mask. I wear glasses and find a visor more convenient. It's easier to get on and off without getting your hands anywhere near your nose and mouth.

I see a lot of people constantly fiddling with masks, which must be a bit counterproductive if they haven't washed their hands.

Has there been any research done as to which is better, mask or visor?
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Visor improves safety with mask already on especially when desling with people close up, on its own it’s not good enough as Covid spreads via micro droplets in air

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          I use a visor rather than a mask. I wear glasses and find a visor more convenient. It's easier to get on and off without getting your hands anywhere near your nose and mouth.

I see a lot of people constantly fiddling with masks, which must be a bit counterproductive if they haven't washed their hands.

The basic advice is they protect the eyes from possible droplet infection, but they do not rule out infection via the mouth and nose. They only serve as an additional protective measure.

More information here: Why Plastic Face Shields Aren’t a Safe Alternative to Cloth Masks
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I breathe through a long tube with the end stuck in my underpants.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

When entering a supermarket, I take a large dollop of alcoholic handwash and wipe it across the outside of my mask.

Nearly fainted once, due to breathing the fumes close up, but it must help prevent viruses sneaking through the mask.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                When entering a supermarket, I take a large dollop of alcoholic handwash and wipe it across the outside of my mask.

Nearly fainted once, due to breathing the fumes close up, but it must help prevent viruses sneaking through the mask.
                70% alcohol spray is far more convenient for that than the hand gel stuff. I keep a small bottle of it in my handbag as it's more socially acceptable to have that than lots of gin miniatures.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Bollox. You are not the only one to wear glasses, me included. You need to bend and shape the metal strip on mask to fit close to your skin and then it won't mist up. A shield should be used as an extra precaution, not as primary protection.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    I breathe through a long tube with the end stuck in my underpants.
                    what if covid got into your underpants

Comment

Working...
                    X