• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Call for self-employed to pay more tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No you didn't. If you had 3 years you had to provide them but if you didn't, a minimum of one set of filed accounts was acceptable.
    I know someone who had only been working in this regard for a year and got the payments.
    You still needed a tax return from 2018/19 which was rather a problem if you started any form of self employment since April 2019 (and given that anyone who didn't have a full years accounts was penalized probably April 2018).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You still needed a tax return from 2018/19 which was rather a problem if you started any form of self employment since April 2019 (and given that anyone who didn't have a full years accounts was penalized probably April 2018).
      Yeah but pretty much anyone who started a new job or went self-employed or started a business shortly before lockdown was ineligible for support. We weren't allowed to furlough our employee for instance as they were hired on 1st March 2020.

You didn't need 3 years SATR though. And self-employed people were allowed to continue working without it affecting their ability to claim, if they could find work.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Easy and fair solution would have been to tax those who actually received help until it's repaid

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Easy and fair solution would have been to tax those who actually received help until it's repaid
          Indeed like a student loan

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Indeed like a student loan
            One can even package that debt, slap AAA rating on it and sell on global markets...

Comment

Like all the business and bounce-back loans.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Gov should lower all taxes and let the country work.

Raising taxes with the level of unemployment we currently have is stupid.

Comment

Self-employed needed to be making a decent profit in the qualifying year(s) to get any worthwhile help from Sunak's scheme, so it wasn't only the newly self-employed without any filings that 'fell through the cracks'.

Anyone familiar with running a business will know that the profit part is only the tip of the iceberg.

Try to implement any unfair taxes and Bozo will find he's on the Titanic come next election.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Correct.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's actually an excellent idea.

My issue with government support over this crisis is just how inequitable it has been. Not just for some self employed, but also employees who happened to switch jobs at just the wrong time (probably 1 in 20 workers, if people swap jobs on average every 5 years). Some people have made out like bandits, like those furloughed for the whole year with no expectation of work, while others have had to fall back on UC - which people soon realised falls far short of any sort of safety net for a middle class lifestyle. Others have had to carry on their crappy jobs at minimum wage whilst enduring greater risk, etc. I get the excuse that they had to hurry something out at the start, but its been nearly a year now and they haven't really changed anything. It's going to be a real kick in the teeth for many when they are asked to pay more taxes to cover something they didn't see the benefit of.

Comment

Working...
                      X