• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU threatens to block exports of Pfizer Covid vaccine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    The EU's response is purely to deflect attention from the complete shambles they've made of their attempt to procure and deploy a continent-wide vaccination programme.
    This.

The individual national governments are deflecting the blame from voters towards Brussels, who are in turn blasting the vaccine manufacturers and sounding like a hostile manufacturing and export hub.

Comment

Did I also hear correctly that the UK selfishly ordered way more doses than we actually need? I was only half paying attention to someone bleating on the radio this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Did I also hear correctly that the UK selfishly ordered way more doses than we actually need? I was only half paying attention to someone bleating on the radio this morning.
        I think you'll find the UK (along with many other nations) placed orders for more than we'd need, on the basis that many of them wouldn't actually work. Once we have what we need, any future surplus will go back into the general supply. It makes sense, the French vaccine for example, is completely useless, if we had relied solely on that one we'd be stuffed. Bear in mind also we need 2 doses for everyone, which amounts to around 130m doses in total.
        Some would call it 'selfish', most would call it 'basic common sense'.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Most developed countries did that.

Simply as they didn't know what vaccines would work.

Anyway the excess vaccines can be given to developing nations.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Coronavirus vaccines strategy | European Commission

Comment

it wasn’t (and still isn’t) known how long vaccines will last whilst still remaining effective, given that costs per person are like a tenner that’s no brainer to order a lot more

Comment

The vaccine manufactured in the UK is reserved exclusively for the British and they're also importing vaccine from the EU. In fact the December doses of the Astra-Zeneca vaccine actually came from the EU.

So to summarise. It's fine for Astra Zeneca to reserve UK manufactured vaccines for the British, but if the EU reciprocates, it's an "outrage". Mike Graham's eyes were bulging on Talk Radio and he had a hate hour against the EU.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Its also quite interesting that AstraZeneca won't allow the publication of the contract between them and the EU, who have said they're willing to publish it.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

So to summarise. It's fine for Astra Zeneca to reserve UK manufactured vaccines for the British, but if the EU reciprocates, it's an "outrage". Mike Graham's eyes were bulging on Talk Radio and he had a hate hour against the EU.
                    That radio station that had content removed from YouTube due to some anti-vax programmes.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Its also quite interesting that AstraZeneca won't allow the publication of the contract between them and the EU, who have said they're willing to publish it.
                      It is indeed very interesting, but it's not its

Comment

Working...
                      X