• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plymouth Hoe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Devil’s Dyke is hardly rude. Only makes it there because it offends some hand wringing liberals. That's more a sign of the tulip times we live in rather than amusing.
    Words people in the UK don't see as rude due to the historic context of them, are seen as rude in other English speaking countries.

For example people from North America don't say "I'm going to the toilet" or "I'm going to use the crapper" as they think "toilet" and "crapper" are rude words.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      Scunthorpe.
      Mate of mine used to work for Vodafone - their email filter used to flag up that. Oh the fun I had sending him emails about the East Coast seaside resort

It also flagged up the term 'spick and span' .... I think I was selling my flat at the time getting it ready for viewings.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The village of Motcombe always brought a childish giggle to me and Mrs W

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Words people in the UK don't see as rude due to the historic context of them, are seen as rude in other English speaking countries.

For example people from North America don't say "I'm going to the toilet" or "I'm going to use the crapper" as they think "toilet" and "crapper" are rude words.
          Yet "mother****er" seems quite popular in the local lingo, if Samuel L. "Mother****er" Jackson is to be believed.

And how could anyone be offended by faggots & peas (with onion gravy of course).

Not to mention all those gardening implements.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

The village of Motcombe always brought a childish giggle to me and Mrs W
            I must have led a sheltered life, because I can't for the life of me see any part of "Motcombe" which is rude!

Mind you, if it was spelled Mottcombe, it would contain an anagram of "bottom"
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Yet "mother****er" seems quite popular in the local lingo, if Samuel L. "Mother****er" Jackson is to be believed.

And how could anyone be offended by faggots & peas (with onion gravy of course).

Not to mention all those gardening implements.
              Don't ask them for a fag....

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I must have led a sheltered life, because I can't for the life of me see any part of "Motcombe" which is rude!

Mind you, if it was spelled Mottcombe, it would contain an anagram of "bottom"
                For the risk of being banned for a day, let me explain ....

Mott
                Yet another word for a big, unkempt hairy vagina.
                Like growler, it's a dirty old matted jungle of a thing.
                Urban Dictionary: Mott

So by definition, it probably needs a Comb

Comment

I got one of these for XMas.
                  Perhaps the £multi-gazillion marketing outfit could buy themselves a copy?
                  Map

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    I got one of these for XMas.
                    Perhaps the £multi-gazillion marketing outfit could buy themselves a copy?
                    Map
                    Since I've had to tell British retailers who sell online "Middlesex" doesn't exist as an actual county there is absolutely no chance....

Comment

Working...
                    X