• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

this role is open to EU passport holders only

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to fire off my Irish passport application I guess.

Mr C has been nagging me to do it for years but I've been reluctant as his family wasn't as Irish as his mother would like to make out.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      They also wouldn't have been able to register with the local authorities, or open a bank account, or rent a property..
      What strange ideas you have.

It's nice that you wear your monolingualism as a badge of pride.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Or they didn't speak the relevant languages and weren't bothered as they wouldn't have been able to work in the EU anyway. They would have needed an EU passport, as they wouldn't have been able to travel to Europe without one. They also wouldn't have been able to register with the local authorities, or open a bank account, or rent a property.
        Working in the EU has never been worth the hassle, except for those of you who don't know what a wife or girlfriend is, and would have to sort them out with a job in a country where they didn't speak the language. Which is probably quite a lot of you.
        Just as simple as in the UK and you don't need to speak the language. It takes about 5 minutes to open a bank account and about 10 minutes to register with the local authorities.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Or they didn't speak the relevant languages and weren't bothered as they wouldn't have been able to work in the EU anyway. They would have needed an EU passport, as they wouldn't have been able to travel to Europe without one. They also wouldn't have been able to register with the local authorities, or open a bank account, or rent a property.
          Working in the EU has never been worth the hassle, except for those of you who don't know what a wife or girlfriend is, and would have to sort them out with a job in a country where they didn't speak the language. Which is probably quite a lot of you.
          Good grief, what a strange little post this is.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            A bit of a small island mindset there, I work all over the EU and have done for years and don't speak the local languages. Maybe some of us are hired for being experienced rather than just arses on seats...
            The threads on working in various EU countries are a mile long (albeit mostly redundant now) with all the advice wrt the bureaucracy one has to navigate. I don't mind the occasional trip to abroadland for a site visit, but if there's any need to register for local taxes or spend weeks away, that's not for me.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

if there's any need to register for local taxes or spend weeks away, that's not for me.
              It’s not for you because you are a minimum wage code monkey who could not even keep his test network secure

Comment

The threads on working in various EU countries are a mile long (albeit mostly redundant now) with all the advice wrt the bureaucracy one has to navigate. I don't mind the occasional trip to abroadland for a site visit, but if there's any need to register for local taxes or spend weeks away, that's not for me.
                You want to see the threads about the bureaucracy that people have to jump through to work in the UK
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You mean like this https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...eme-enquiries/

In the UK your accountant fills out the tax, in the EU you work through a payroll/international accountancy company.

It really is no more "hassle" than the UK.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    You mean like this https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...eme-enquiries/

In the UK your accountant fills out the tax, in the EU you work through a payroll/international accountancy company.

It really is no more "hassle" than the UK.
                    The "EU" isn't one country. In a few even though you have to work through a third party you still have to do tax returns.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      You want to see the threads about the bureaucracy that people have to jump through to work in the UK
                      I remember all the struggles people I know and I've worked with have had in opening a bank account in the UK. On occasions they have had to have an account with the bank the company they are working for bank with.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X