• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Universal Housing Project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Housing Project

So... have been going through the letting process lately and it is an absolute hell.
    Intentionally made cumbersome, asymmetrical powers in the negotiation. Rogue negotiation tactics.
    It is made to make you feel small and take you "by the b***s". I am appalled. I've avoided previously to get in touch with estate agents but now I couldn't.

So what I am thinking, while I still have some time on my hands to make a project with a portal that would bring together supply and demand in the rental sector. More standardised procedures, tenants would go through references in their own way then present the offer to the portal. Standardised descriptions, accurate metrics. Upfront information.

Now they can take holding deposits from 10 people, put one offer forward then make up excuses to forfeit the rest. And there you have someone on min wage fighting for your money and you having to take time off work to get yours back.

Maybe make a petition to be discussed in the house of commons. I am realistic about bringing change in the old ways of feudalism but at least we should have some discussion.

Anyone fancy wasting some time with me?

Everything that I have seen has been created in the interest of the industry and it lets way for abuse, discrimination and intimidation.
    If there is a big project that would bring change to this degrading society, I think this is the one.

PS: got inspired by the pesky redditors bankrupting hedgefunds and how all the news are about "protecting them" and "how is that legal" ... you don't say?

tenants would go through references in their own way then present the offer to the portal.
    Yeah right. Thanks gonna work isn't it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Yeah right. Thanks gonna work isn't it?
      if you have an unbiased agency that is doing the checking and there isn't anything dodgy about it.

few months back, an old russian lady was complaning that the company with green and yellow on their sign had put "criminal tenants" in her west kensington flat. And she found "smelly bags and guns" left in the property when they left after a few months in a 12 month contract. Those people probably passed references as well.
      If you believe that the current system does not leave space for that, you are wrong. Agencies still do what they want.

Comment

There are companies who do background checks for employers, so I suspect you want one of those for tenants but let the tenants apply to the company.

The only issue you would have is how to background check people from abroad particularly from countries where there is lots of corruption.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          There are companies who do background checks for employers, so I suspect you want one of those for tenants but let the tenants apply to the company.

The only issue you would have is how to background check people from abroad particularly from countries where there is lots of corruption.
          Those people would pay anyway 6 months in advance and would fail references. It's the UK people that get played around by the agencies.

If you have right to rent, if you can prove your income to some extent and that is managed by a regulated body. That should be miles away than current approach.

Comment

You miss the point that a minority of tenants will lie, cheat and steal , others will want it laid on a plate the scary thing is they make a minority of the landlords behaviour look good.

There is a very easy way to make renting easy. Make the deposit scheme mandatory and record any defaults on either side (rent arrears, eviction, abuse, lack of certs) on the system once supported by the courts, Police or Council.

The tenants that pay their rent and don't get ASBOs will be preferred, the landlords that are abusive or don't get a gas cert will be avoided. You could even share the detail with HMRC and Border patrol so we know the Landlords are paying tax and the tenant has a right to rent.

You could allow acceptable reference providers e.g. Experian tender for additional references and insurers provide insurance based on the behaviour of both parties. You could supply accountancy services and tax advice.

Agree about the deposits that needs legislating.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Just train unemployed tenants to build nice 5-6 bedroom detached houses with big fook off driveway parking for themselves and the rest of the country.

Sorteed.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Just train unemployed tenants to build nice 5-6 bedroom detached houses with big fook off driveway parking for themselves and the rest of the country.

Sorteed.
                There is no shortage of housing. I've just gone through a week of negotiation for a 2 bed flat in CW that the agent suggested 1600. after putting the holding deposit I've been ghosted for 1 week. CW is 50% empty, it's just that they don't want to let the market correct. They want 2000 now. Attempted all the tricks in the book.

The market is rigged and they will play all the tricks in the book to keep it that way. There is no justice for the little person.

Some people are contempt because it works in their way, but they forget that they might have kids one day or grandkids and you might not be able to pass on wealth for all of them.

What land would those properties be built? I am sure the old boys in housing associations would do everything in their power not to allow it.
                Last edited by GigiBronz; 28 January 2021, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  What land would those properties be built?
                  Plenty of space

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    You miss the point that a minority of tenants will lie, cheat and steal , others will want it laid on a plate the scary thing is they make a minority of the landlords behaviour look good.

There is a very easy way to make renting easy. Make the deposit scheme mandatory and record any defaults on either side (rent arrears, eviction, abuse, lack of certs) on the system once supported by the courts, Police or Council.

The tenants that pay their rent and don't get ASBOs will be preferred, the landlords that are abusive or don't get a gas cert will be avoided. You could even share the detail with HMRC and Border patrol so we know the Landlords are paying tax and the tenant has a right to rent.

You could allow acceptable reference providers e.g. Experian tender for additional references and insurers provide insurance based on the behaviour of both parties. You could supply accountancy services and tax advice.

Agree about the deposits that needs legislating.
                    I think we need a fair system where all the housing supply appears and they are not able to hide it and all the interactions between landlords and tenants follow procedures so that the agencies do not have room for abuse.

Most of their business is obfuscating details about the property, the terms of the contract, putting people in corners and pushing them around. Let's be honest, we've seen plenty of that in dealings with employment agents.

If we do want a better place than we should address those and not let the agencies run it as if it is the Wilde Wide West.

It's like a war on independent people. If they see that you are aware, they will put effort in tiring you up. Showing you sub standard properties at high prices. They will push it every single day towards your deadline so that you do not have a choice. If you have family and other commitments you do not stand a chance against them. THIS is a country run by sales people and the interests of old money and ruthless people.

Comment

Working...
                    X