• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a property that lacks building regs for recent work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    Yeah indemnity insurance doesn't actually do anything. That's why it only costs £200.
    It gives priceless and endless peace of mind for the vast majority of buyers...

Comment

Thoughts?
      Give it a miss unless you can afford to "self-insure" (have enough money to spend fixing it and still think it was a good deal).

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        As them to get a structural engineer's report done proving there is no issue with the removal of the wall.
        How can he do that if he cant inspect the footings?

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
          How can he do that if he cant inspect the footings?
          That was in reference to the removed wall - if a steel was put in, it should be ok, but an SE could do all the calcs.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            That was in reference to the removed wall - if a steel was put in, it should be ok, but an SE could do all the calcs.
            If I was selling my house I would not allow a SE to make a hole and patch it up afterwards - Subsidence and movemnent can be detected but is hard to see if its new

Comment

If I was selling my house I would not allow a SE to make a hole and patch it up afterwards
              What have you got to hide?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If I was selling my house I would not allow a SE to make a hole and patch it up afterwards - Subsidence and movemnent can be detected but is hard to see if its new
                I'd say that depends on how eager you are to sell it and how confident you are that the person will buy with or without the report.

But it's also a difficult choice for the OP too - how much do they want the house and are they willing to walk away?

I'd certainly be asking for a chunk off the selling price unless i saw it as my dream home and was willing to take the risk.

Comment

All that work could be just misdirection from what was buried under the conservatory...

Comment

Surely if the footings are undersized and it's not historical work, there's a very real possibility building control could demand you knock it down or rectify? And there's also the very real potential of structural problems in future.

Given how recent it is - I'd tell em to either get it signed off, or forget it.

I'm far from an expert on this (Though if you all recall, I had a crack at DIY building an extension the other year) but conservatory foundations tend to be tiny - little more than you'd put for a garden wall. They're often exempt so chances are a BCO or SE has never ever been near those foundations.
                    Last edited by vwdan; 11 February 2021, 17:42.

Comment

Also they did not disclose this in the property information form and claimed that they didn't do the work it seems (although this bit is still unclear - solicitor's heresay), however we have found evidence that they did do the work. They are now trying to peddle indemnity insurance for this however I have concerns:
                      My biggest concerned would be they have actively lied on the property information form to try and conceal this from you. What else have they lied about?

Comment

Working...
                      X